[visionrehabtherapist] Re: large print digital thermostats

  • From: "B.J. LeJeune" <BJLejeune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:27:47 -0600

Rene,

This sounds like an issue for the Housing Authority to correct - the expense
should not be to the consumers - especially since there are some restrictions
on what will work with the new system.  I would call this an ADA accessibility
issue.  The consumers can request a reasonable accommodation from the Housing
Authority, and it will become their problem to solve.

BJ

>>> Renee Fortin <benay410@xxxxxxxxxxx> 1/4/2011 8:48 AM >>>
Hello and Happy New Year!
I am having a problem with several clients regarding their ability to see new
digital thermostats that were installed in their apartments by the housing
authority.  The new thermostats have numbers that are 3/4 of an inch high. They
are dark gray on a light gray background. There is a backlight which is green.
The button to turn it on is easy to find and it stays lit for about 20 seconds.
However, most of my clients in these buildings are not able to read 3/4 inch
tall gray numbers.  They all previously had the Honeywell type thermostats
which worked great but are not compatible with the new heating system.  I have
found some talking thermostats online but they are too expensive to install.
Does anyone know of a truly large print digital thermostat that might be
available? I am also checking with a heating company but thought I would try
here as well.
It is a difficult situation.  Programming the thermostats has not seemed to
work. Clients are pushing buttons without really knowing how high or low they
are setting the temperature and then they are waking up cold or they are so hot
that they are opening windows even on freezing cold days. Everyone is becoming
frustrated as you can imagine.
I appreciate any and all ideas. Thanks very much!

Renee Man
CVRT/COMS
Carroll Center for the Blind
Newton, MA