[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Threadinga sewing machine and sewing machine suggestions

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Melissa" <melissa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ktownsend@xxxxxxxxx>, <svan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Pfeiffer, Moira'" <mpfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Robin.Illers@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dasmot@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:38:02 -0500

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I like the Braille numbering as well. I did pick up one of those hooked threaders a long time ago at A. c. More, but may look again at them, as I honestly don't know where mine went, I was using it for yarn needles in loom knitting.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

I guess the only other question i have is what features should I look for and what features should I most decidedly avoided in picking and buying a first sewing machine, and not having useable vision for the task of sewing?

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of their act as violence;
rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed. -Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa" <melissa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ktownsend@xxxxxxxxx>; <svan@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "'Pfeiffer, Moira'" <mpfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <Robin.Illers@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>; <dasmot@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:33 PM
Subject: RE: [visionrehabtherapist] Re: Threadinga sewing machine and sewing machine suggestions

Now That is helpful!! Thanks to all for replying on all this. Why didn't I
think of numbering!!!??

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:52:52 -0800
From: "Robin Illers" <Robin.Illers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
machine suggestions
To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>

  There are "handicapped" sewing machine needles that
  have a slit down one side. They work best for
  straight stitching, but not well for zigzagging or
  other patterns.

  I recently found a flat metal needle threader that
  is about 1.5 long and has different sized flat hooks
  on each end. I am looking forward to trying this
  one, since the hook is open on one side and is not
  threaded like other needle threaders. I purchased it
  at a local fabric store last month and am hoping it
  stays on the market.

  Robin Illers
  CVRT, Rehabilitation Instructor
  Oregon Commission for the Blind
  444 NE Winchester, PMB 13B
  Roseburg, OR 97470

  robin.illers@xxxxxxxxxxx
  phone: (541) 492-1171

  >>> "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  1/8/2009 6:35 AM >>>
  I am curious if any of you, have suggestions on how
  to make threading a
  sewing machine easier?  I have a customer who loves
  to quilt, and has two
  sewing machines, and has recently lost some vision.
  I don't have a sewing
  machine myself, I want one, smile, so I was
  wondering if anyone has come up
  with some easy or creative ways to get that thread
  into the needle.  We
  tried the floss threader, wire needle threader (best
  so far), self threading
  needles (she loves), but wondering if there are
  other methods that work out
  well?

  Also, smile, does anyone have a favorite brand or
  type of sewing machine
  that is good for a blind beginner sewer?

  thanks.

  Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx