[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Threading a sewing machine and sewing machine suggestions

  • From: "Robin Illers" <Robin.Illers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:52:52 -0800

There are "handicapped" sewing machine needles that have a slit down one side.
They work best for straight stitching, but not well for zigzagging or other
patterns.

I recently found a flat metal needle threader that is about 1.5 long and has
different sized flat hooks on each end. I am looking forward to trying this
one, since the hook is open on one side and is not threaded like other needle
threaders. I purchased it at a local fabric store last month and am hoping it
stays on the market.

Robin Illers
CVRT, Rehabilitation Instructor
Oregon Commission for the Blind
444 NE Winchester, PMB 13B
Roseburg, OR 97470

robin.illers@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (541) 492-1171

>>> "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx> 1/8/2009 6:35 AM >>>
I am curious if any of you, have suggestions on how to make threading a
sewing machine easier?  I have a customer who loves to quilt, and has two
sewing machines, and has recently lost some vision.  I don't have a sewing
machine myself, I want one, smile, so I was wondering if anyone has come up
with some easy or creative ways to get that thread into the needle.  We
tried the floss threader, wire needle threader (best so far), self threading
needles (she loves), but wondering if there are other methods that work out
well?

Also, smile, does anyone have a favorite brand or type of sewing machine
that is good for a blind beginner sewer?

thanks.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of
their act as violence;
rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness.
The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever
committed. -Gil Bailie, author and lecturer (b. 1944)

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx