[visionrehabtherapist] Hosting an exchange student

  • From: Sarah Heinrich <cvrtheinrich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gretchencoms@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:59:39 -0400

Sorry for the horrible formatting on the previous email!

Hello, Everyone!

As some of you know, my husband and I have hosted 3 exchange students who are
blind. Through our activities, we are trying to help a young woman who is
blind from Turkey come to the United States to study. Next school year....

Her host family was all set up, but the placement at her school fell through.

This has left the placement organization scrambling, and I volunteered to help
because I know a little about this young lady.

I have a paragraph about her in her own words that I can share with you. I've
deleted her name, since this is being distributed widely.

___ is a 15 year old girl from TURKEY. My name is____ . I have a small family.
I live with my mother and father. When I need help, they always support me. I
feel lucky and happy to have such a family. We go to a cinema, a theater, and
also some concerts together. We really love the sea and swimming. I'm keen on
travelling. I also enjoy playing quiz and vocabulary games like Taboo,
listening to music, singing, playing the guitar, taking a walk, jogging,
spending time with friends, going to concerts, movies, and theater,
experiencing different tastes and studying. I do most of my housework on my own
like making my bed and preparing my breakfast, getting dressed, and doing my
homework. I would like to learn the lifestyles and cultures in America. I can
live with dogs, but I am afraid of living with cats. GPA:4.00 ELTiS Form 1
Score: 227 Program Length: 10 months Orientation: Private School: No.
Allergies:None

What you can't see from this little snipit is that she goes to a mainstream
school, advocates for her accommodations by herself, and uses assistive
technology like a whiz-kid.

Hosting a foreign exchange student is wonderful. Hosting a BLIND foreign
exchange student is TOTALLY AWESOME!

--
Gretchen Kapperman
Teacher of the Visually Impaired