[visionrehabtherapist] FW: What do you think about the new ACVREP Certification requiremetns?

  • From: "Judy Schermer" <Judy.Schermer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:00:25 -0500

From: Judy Schermer
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:16 AM
To: 'Maduffy@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [visionrehabtherapist] What do you think about the new
ACVREP Certification requiremetns?

Hi Maureen,

I also have been closely following the discussion on the provisional
certification.  I think some of the problem with VRT is it's history.
Since it was basically home-based, on the job training for it in the
past (prior to the 60's), it is difficult to separate the historical
background of it from the direction we'd like it to go now.  The O&M
history is different.  However, just because our history was that
doesn't mean we can't adhere to strict requirements for VRT
certification now.  I strongly oppose the provisional certification for
VRTs and agree with much of the emails that have been sent over the past
2 weeks.  Everyone recognizes and agrees that there is a shortage in the
field.  Some of the problem with "marketing" our field is the low pay.
If we lower our standards to allow unqualified people to be certified,
we MAY help it in the short run but we are destroying our
field/profession in the long run.  (not to mention the certified VRT,
OM, and LVT who may decide that certification is not necessary/valued if
the provisional track is allowed, and not get certified).

My concern with the provisional certification and the assistant programs
is it puts the stamp of approval on less qualified people to do our
jobs.  When you have employers (including directors of vision rehab.
agencies) who do not really know what we do, why would they pay
$30,000-$40,000 (still low) for a university trained, certified VRT when
they can pay $20,000 for someone who has a provisional certification or
was trained as an assistant.  This is a real problem currently for our
profession, even though I know that there are some VRTs out there who
are supportive of the assistant program.  To be fair, the VRT assistant
is supposed to be working under the direct supervision of a certified
VRT but, from personal experience, I know that this is not how it works
in reality.  Unfortunately, many agency directors, for whatever reason,
seem to be ok with hiring these less qualified people with no certified
VRT on staff to supervise.

I don't have the answers and do appreciate the work the other
professionals, AER, and ACVREP are trying to do in order to increase the
number of people in the field.  However, lowering our standards will
also lower our credibility and value in the field which in turn will not
increase the pay (through Medicare, etc...) which will affect the number
of potential people going in the  universities.  It is a vicious cycle
but we need to start somewhere.  I don't see lowering our standards is
at all a start, it is a step backwards.  Just my humble opinion.

Judy M. Schermer, CVRT
Rehabilitation Services Manager
Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Disclaimer:  The information contained in this electronic mail message
may be confidential and protected information intended only for the use
of the individual or entity named above.  As the recipient of this
information you may be prohibited by State and Federal law from
disclosing this information to any other party without specific written
authorization from the individual to whom it pertains. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and
destroy the message and its attachments.