[visionrehabtherapist] Braille follow-up

  • From: steve kelley <skelley4195@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:59:02 -0800 (PST)

Here is the post if the link is not working for you:

What Would Louis Think?

                                                Posted on February 16, 2012

                                                Last month was Louis Braille’s
birthday, but it was just in the
 last 2 days that the following articles came out about Braille and its
relevance in the age of Smartphone Tech. This in the UK Guardian on February
14, 2012:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=146812288 seemed
to be the perfect response to a tech story airing on NPR the day before:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=146812288. In
some ways they are the same story with a completely different twist on the
relevance of Braille.
What’s the point of learning to do multiplication when we can
purchase a calculator for $2 or use the one on our phones. Why spend the
 time to learn to spell for that matter when there is a spell check on
nearly everything (if one remembers to use it!).

FYI, this whole page on NPR’s site has some great stories on blindness:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/02/13/146812288/braille-under-siege-as-blind-turn-to-smartphones?sc=tw&cc=share

What do you think?