[visionegg] Re: visionegg Digest V8 #10

  • From: Christopher Taylor <taylorcp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 02:09:21 -0500

Andrew,

 This is so great, who cares if no one cares?

Chris

On 5-Mar-09, at 2:02 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

visionegg Digest        Wed, 04 Mar 2009        Volume: 08  Issue: 010

In This Issue:
                [visionegg] Installation Help
                [visionegg] Re: Installation Help
                [visionegg] Re: Installation Help

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:07:52 -0500
From: stephanie.manchin@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [visionegg] Installation Help

Hello,

I am relatively new to programming and am trying to get visionEgg installed and running on a mac but am running into a problem. There is some kind of X11 error I believe. It may have something to do with my X11 path not including the
library locations and so it can't find them.

I ran the python check-config.py in an X11 terminal. Here is what it outputted:

  Version checklist:

  Python version 2.5.1 (OK)
extra Python info: (r251:54863, Apr 15 2008, 22:57:26) [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc.
  build 5465)]
  numpy version 1.0.1 (OK)
  PyOpenGL (package "OpenGL") failed
pygame failed: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'> No module named pygame.version
  Python Imaging Library (package "Image") failed

  Optional module(s):

  Pyro failed
  bash-3.2$

Oddly though, when I use the normal terminal window (as opposed to X11) and I
run the check I get this:

  Version checklist:

  Python version 2.4.4 (OK)
extra Python info: (#1, Oct 18 2006, 10:34:39) [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer,
  Inc. build 5341)]

  numpy version 1.0.1 (OK)
  PyOpenGL (package "OpenGL") version 2.0.2.01 (OK)
  pygame version 1.8.0pre (OK)
  Python Imaging Library (package "Image") version 1.1.5 (OK)

Can anyone help? Its probably something pretty simple but I don't know how to
fix it.

Thanks!
Stephanie

------------------------------

From: Dav Clark <dav@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [visionegg] Re: Installation Help
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:59:20 -0800

Hi Stephanie,

That is strange.  To be clear, you certainly don't need to use X11 to
run visionegg on OSX, and you probably don't want that running in the
first place - who knows what it might do to your video timings.  What
you _do_ need to make sure is that you are using a framework build (at
least, I think this is necessary).  So, if you type 'which python',
you should see something like

/Library/Frameworks/Python...

or

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python...

or, you might see /usr/bin/python - verify that this is a symlink to a
framework build like so:

ls -l `which python`

(those are backquotes - under the tilde)

In any case, I see no reason for you to run this from an X11
terminal.  So, if that's causing your problem, just don't do it!

DC

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:39:18 -0800
From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Stephanie,

To add to Dav's comments, the configuration you report looks like
PyOpenGL, pygame and PIL are not installed. This isn't an X11 error but
rather a missing packages error.

I'm not using Mac much myself these days, so I have to go by what
others, primarily Alex Holcombe, have written on the VE website (at
http://www.visionegg.org/Download%20and%20Install/Install%20on %20MacOSX
). The instructions on the website suggest to install packages from
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/ . There are for Python 2.4, and
you're output indicates Python 2.5. The VE website also suggests using
MacPython2.4 (presumably also downloaded from pythonmac.org).

So, I'd suggest downloading virtually everything from pythonmac.org and
trying again.

Please let us know if this doesn't work for you -- I'd like to make sure
the online instructions work!

-Andrew

Andrew D. Straw, Ph.D.
California Institute of Technology