[visionegg] Re: still no Leopards?

  • From: Alex Holcombe <alexh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:24:12 +1100

Thanks for the tip Britt,
I've now installed VisionEgg myself on our tower powerpc Mac running Leopard 10.5.1 and all appears to be well.

In my lab we use elements of VisionEgg and Psychopy (psychopy.org) together, and they have basically identical dependencies, so I installed the VisionEgg dependencies by using those in the diskimage "dependenciesOSXuniversal.dmg" that the Psychopy website provides, which uses python2.4

Then running the visionegg setup.py installed it fine.

I'll add a note about this to the wiki.

cheers
Alex

On 19/01/2008, at 2:03 AM, Britt Anderson wrote:

I have installed functioning VisionEgg on a macbook and a desktop intel Mac both running 10.5.1 and I don't recall having any particular problems. Of course I don't really know what I am doing, and it just may be a case of the blind pig finding an acorn.

--Britt Anderson

On 17-Jan-08, at 8:24 PM, Alex Holcombe wrote:

I'm wondering whether I could easily get VisionEgg to work on OSX 10.5 Leopard. Is it still the case that noone has tried this?

Looks like John Christie has the last word on this below, suggesting that SDL 1.3 would be needed, and I see on the web that SDL1.3 is available but described as "Under Construction"

Alex

  * From: John Christie <jc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  * To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  * Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:06:35 -0400

Biggest problem I've seen yet is that I believe you would need a minimum of SDL1.3 to work with Leopard.

On Nov 2, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Andrew Straw wrote:

  John Christie wrote:

      Anyone tried VisionEgg on Leopard yet?

  Hi John,

I have not, but from the numpy mailing list, I have learned that Apple's pre-installed Python contains older versions of packages such as numpy,

which cannot be overridden. Thus, folks suggest installing your own Python. (That's what I've been doing for 10.4, and there it seems to
  work pretty well.)

My bigger concern is that they change the C API for stuff we use, but I

  haven't seen anything to suggest they've done that.

  -Andrew