[visionegg] Re: What happens during a dropped frame?

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:08:27 -0800

Jens Kremkow wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using noise stimuli in which the exact content of each frame is
> important for the analysis at a later stage.
> My, I hope simple, question is: what happens on the screen when a frame
> is dropped?
>
> Does it work like this:
>
> frame[0] ok -> frame[0] on screen
> frame[1] dropped -> frame[0] on screen
> frame[2] ok -> frame[2] on screen
>
> Or is it more complex?

Hi Jens -- it depends on how you're generating the frames. If you're
doing a simple playback like:

for i in range(10):
    draw_image(i)
    screen.swap_buffers()

then you will get the following space-time diagram for an X moving to
the right at constant speed (view with monospaced font):

space ---->

t   __X______
i   ___X_____
m   ____X____
e   ____X____
|   _____X___
|   ______X__
|   _______X_
v   ________X

In other words, the draw_image() function doesn't know a frame was
skipped, and so the diagonal line in space-time gets a constant time offset.

On the other hand code like:

for i in range(10):
    draw_image_for_time( get_current_time() )
    screen.swap_buffers()

Will do this:

space ---->

t   __X______
i   ___X_____
m   ____X____
e   ____X____
|   ______X__
|   _______X_
|   ________X

In this case, the overall diagonal line in space-time is maintained, but
there is a momentary glitch at the frame skip. Most of the VE stimuli,
e.g. the sinusoidal gratings, are of the second type.

I hope that helps.

-Andrew
--
Andrew D. Straw, Ph.D.