[visionegg] Re: PsyScope button box

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:57:30 -0800

Dear John,

Without knowing more about this product or where they are in the development process, I would suggest they, as a first step, write a simple C API and keep it cross-platform. libusb can be used to write the USB drivers for the device. Once you've got a C library, it is relatively straightforward to wrap it with a Python module (using ctypes, for example) or, to a lesser degree, MATLAB mex file. At that point, I think they would be well served by spending a little effort integrating their drivers for use with the various experiment-running software packages. I would gladly accept any patches into the Vision Egg or demos that use the box, provided they don't break anything else.

I've personally been building little microcontroller devices based on the Atmel AT90USBKEY. Once you overcome the initial development hurdles, its quite a capable little platform for $30 with no associated additional fees like much embedded development entails (gcc can be used as the compiler).

-Andrew

John Christie wrote:
Hi,
I was recently in conversation with the makers of the PsyScopeX button box about having more open drivers and not having it tied so closely to PsyScopeX. They are working on exactly that and are considering where to put their resources for high level support. They originally were going to go MatLab next but were very open to the ides of a Python module (especially because the believed it to be easier). Anyone who'd like to see this device supported under Python please contact them and let them know. I know it isn't cheap but getting supported and cheap USB I/O devices is really hard, especially for Mac users. Can anyone get an email back from Activewire? Delcom? It seems they're all a little flakey.