[visionegg] Re: 18 bits of output on parallel port?

  • From: Andrew Straw <astraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:40:46 -0700

Martin Spacek wrote:

Hello,

We've decided to switch over to Vision Egg from our in-house DOS based
stimulus system. So far, we're very impressed with everything it has to
offer. Good stuff!

Thanks for you comments.

We need to output a 16 bit number from the stimulus computer on
potentially every screen refresh (we're likely getting a 200Hz Iiyama
HM903DT monitor with a Radeon 9200 or 9800), plus an extra two bits for
status, for a total of 18 bits. We'll be reading this off with digital
lines on a DAC board on our separate acquisition computer. After a
glance at the documentation, it looks like there's a built-in LPT module
in Vision Egg, and then there's also the separate winioport.

No, the Vision Egg LPT stuff on Windows is just a very thin wrapper over winioport. (It's wrapped to provide the same interface on Windows and linux).

Both seem
to limit the number of output bits to 8, which I think is the standard
protocol for parallel ports.

Yes.

Is there any way to take control of the
other pins for output use?

Sadly not. It may be possible that PCI cards with extra parallel ports would work, but even then, I'm not sure about more than 2 parallel ports on any PC. Otherwise, I think you'd have to go to a data acquisition card.

Thanks,

Martin Spacek
PhD student, Graduate Program in Neuroscience
Dept. of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
604-875-4555 ext. 66282
mspacek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swindale.ecc.ubc.ca