[virusinfo] W32/Rbot-Z

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:48:10 -0700

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Rbot-ZP
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 4 April 2005

A virus identity (IDE) file which provides protection is
available now from the Sophos website, and will be incorporated
into the May 2005 (3.93) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Customers using EM Library, PureMessage or any of our Sophos
small business solutions will be automatically protected at
their next scheduled update.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received no reports from
users affected by this worm. However, we have issued this
advisory following enquiries to our support department from
customers.

Information about W32/Rbot-ZP can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotzp.html

W32/Rbot-ZP is an IRC backdoor Trojan and network worm.
W32/Rbot-ZP may spread to remote network shares protected by weak passwords and
computers vulnerable to common exploits. The worm also opens up a backdoor,
allowing unauthorised remote access to infected computers via the IRC network,
while running in the background as a service process.
The worm exploits the following vulnerabilities: RPC-DCOM (MS04-12) and LSASS
(MS04-11). For patches for these vulnerabilities, see:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-012.mspx
W32/Rbot-ZP can receive commands from a remote intruder such as, delete network
shares,log keypresses, participate in DDoS attacks, scan other computers for
vulnerabilities and create administrator accounts.
W32/Rbot-ZP copies itself to the Windows system folder as MSMSN32.EXE and
creates the following registry entries in order to run automatically on
computer login:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Microsoft Messenger XP
MSMSN32.exe
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Microsoft Messenger XP
MSMSN32.exe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Microsoft Messenger XP
MSMSN32.exe

This IDE file also includes detection for:

Troj/Multidr-DA
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmultidrda.html
Troj/Multidr-CU
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmultidrcu.html
Troj/Multidr-CZ
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmultidrcz.html
Troj/Multidr-CX
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmultidrcx.html
Troj/Multidr-CY
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojmultidrcy.html

Download the IDE file from:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/rbotzp.ide

Download all the IDE files available for the current version of
Sophos Anti-Virus in a single compressed file. The file is
available in two formats:

Zip file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.zip

Self-extracting file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.exe

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/using.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member