[virusinfo] W32/Rbot-WX

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:31:24 -0800

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Rbot-WX
Aliases: Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.y
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 6 March 2005

A virus identity (IDE) file which provides protection is
available now from the Sophos website, and will be incorporated
into the April 2005 (3.92) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Customers using EM Library, PureMessage or any of our Sophos
small business solutions will be automatically protected at
their next scheduled update.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received a small number of
reports of this worm from the wild.

Information about W32/Rbot-WX can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotwx.html

W32/Rbot-WX is a network worm and IRC backdoor Trojan for the Windows platform.
W32/Rbot-WX spreads using a variety of techniques including exploiting weak
passwords on computers and SQL servers, exploiting operating system
vulnerabilities (including DCOM-RPC, LSASS, WebDAV and UPNP) and using
backdoors opened by other worms or Trojans.
W32/Rbot-WX can be controlled by a remote attacker over IRC channels. The
backdoor component of W32/Rbot-WX can be instructed by a remote user to perform
the following functions:

start an FTP server

start a Proxy server

start a web server

take part in distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks

log keypresses

capture screen/webcam images

packet sniffing

port scanning

download/execute arbitrary files

start a remote shell (RLOGIN)

The worm copies itself to a file named lsassx.exe in the Windows system folder
and creates the following registry entries:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OLE\
Windows Taskmanager=
"lsassx.exe"
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\
Windows Taskmanager=
"lsassx.exe"
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\
Windows Taskmanager=
"lsassx.exe"

This IDE file also includes detection for:

Troj/Small-EH
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojsmalleh.html
Troj/Banker-BK
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbankerbk.html
Troj/Nolram-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojnolrama.html
Troj/Banker-BL
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbankerbl.html
Troj/Goldun-Q
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojgoldunq.html
Troj/Bancos-BL
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancosbl.html
Troj/Roneve-A
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojronevea.html
W32/Codbot-I
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32codboti.html
W32/Bropia-K
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32bropiak.html
Troj/Goldun-P
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojgoldunp.html

Download the IDE file from:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/rbot-wx.ide

Download all the IDE files available for the current version of
Sophos Anti-Virus in a single compressed file. The file is
available in two formats:

Zip file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.zip

Self-extracting file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.exe

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/using.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member