[virusinfo] W32/Mytob-C

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:24:34 -0700

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Mytob-C
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 3 April 2005

A virus identity (IDE) file which provides protection is
available now from the Sophos website, and will be incorporated
into the May 2005 (3.93) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Customers using EM Library, PureMessage or any of our Sophos
small business solutions will be automatically protected at
their next scheduled update.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received no reports from
users affected by this worm. However, we have issued this
advisory following enquiries to our support department from
customers.

Information about W32/Mytob-C can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobc.html

W32/Mytob-C is a mass-mailing worm with IRC backdoor functionality which can
also infect computers vulnerable to the LSASS (MS04-011) exploit.
When first run the worm copies itself to the Windows system folder as
wfdmgr.exe and creates the following registry entries so as to auto-start:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OLE
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
HKCU\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
LSA
wfdmgr.exe
The worm will attempt to harvest email addresses from the local hard disk by
scanning files with extensions WAB, PL, ADB, TBB, DBX, ASP, PHP, SHTL and HTM.
Emails sent by W32/Mytob-C have the following layout:
Subject line chosen from:
Error
Status
Server Report
Mail Transaction Failed
Mail Delivery System
hello
hi
Message text chosen from:
Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available.
The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary
attachment.
The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as
a binary attachment.
Attached filename chosen from the following with an extension chosen from (bat
cmd exe scr pif zip):
message
test
data
file
text
doc
readme
document

This IDE file also includes detection for:

W32/Sdbot-VR
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32sdbotvr.html
W32/Forbot-EL
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32forbotel.html
Troj/Goldun-M
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojgoldunm.html
Troj/BagleDl-K
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbagledlk.html
Troj/StartPa-EZ
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojstartpaez.html
Troj/StartPa-FB
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojstartpafb.html
Troj/BagleDl-L
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbagledll.html
Troj/StartPa-EY
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojstartpaey.html
Troj/Bancban-BO
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojbancbanbo.html

Download the IDE file from:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/mytob-c.ide

Download all the IDE files available for the current version of
Sophos Anti-Virus in a single compressed file. The file is
available in two formats:

Zip file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.zip

Self-extracting file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.exe

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/using.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member