[virusinfo] VIRUS ADVISORY - W32/Sasser.worm.d

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:47:11 -0700

From; McAfee Dispatch:

     ** VIRUS ADVISORY - W32/Sasser.worm.d **

Dear Mike,

The latest variant of Sasser, W32/Sasser.worm.d is another
Medium Risk Internet worm that exploits unpatched versions
of Windows 2000 and XP operating systems, causing infected
PCs to repeatedly reboot.

***
You do not need to click anything to become infected with
W32/Sasser.worm.d. Simply logging onto the Internet without
the latest Windows patch or a reputable firewall can let in
Sasser worms, which spread themselves by establishing remote
connections to vulnerable computers, installing a File
Transfer Protocol (FTP) server, then downloading themselves
to the new host. Sasser variants have infected between
100,000 and millions of PCs worldwide, according to
estimates.

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR PC:

1. Update your anti-virus DAT file.
2. Download the latest Microsoft Windows operating system
patch. On your Internet Explorer toolbar, go to Tools,
select Windows Update then "Scan for updates."
3. Install McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. A secure barrier
between your PC and unauthorized communication, a firewall
will block Sasser-like worms before they can attack your PC.
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10155

Up-to-date McAfee VirusScan users with dat 4357 are protected
from this threat. We also recommend fortifying your
anti-virus software with a firewall. Together, they provide
multi-layered protection against inbound and outbound
malicious code.

Learn More about W32/Sasser.worm.d:
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10166

Scan for W32/Sasser.worm.d:
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10167

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member