[virusinfo] VIRUS ADVISORY - W32/Sasser.worm.a & W32/Sasser.worm.b

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 10:14:07 -0700

From; McAfee Dispatch:

     ** VIRUS ADVISORY - W32/Sasser.worm **

Reminiscent of last summer's Lovsan/MS Blaster worm,
W32/Sasser.worm.a and W32/Sasser.worm.b are Medium Risk
Internet worms that exploit a vulnerability in the Microsoft
Windows operating system, especially 2000 and XP.

You do not need to click anything to become infected. Unlike
typical viruses that arrive inside email attachments, Sasser
worms and their variants attack vulnerable computers when
they connect to the Internet. Infected PCs will repeatedly
reboot and help spread the self-executing worms to other
computers.

HOW TO PROTECT YOUR PC:

1. Update your anti-virus DAT file.
2. Download the latest Microsoft Windows operating system
patch. On your Internet Explorer toolbar, go to Tools,
select Windows Update then "Scan for updates."
3. Install McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. A secure barrier
between your PC and unauthorized communication, a firewall
will block Sasser-like worms before they can attack your PC.
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10155

Up-to-date McAfee VirusScan users with dat 4356 are protected
from this threat. We also recommend fortifying your
anti-virus software with a firewall. Together, they provide
multi-layered protection against inbound and outbound
malicious code.

Learn More about W32/Sasser.worm.a:
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10152

Learn More about W32/Sasser.worm.b:
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10153

Learn More about W32/Sasser.worm.c:
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10154

Scan for W32/Sasser.worm:
==> http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=10156

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member