[virusinfo] Update for Windows XP and Windows 2003 - 05/12/ 04

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:10:24 -0700

From; Panda Oxygen3 24h-365d:

"Where we cannot invent, we may at least improve."
         Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832); English poet and essayist.

                - Update for Windows XP and Windows 2003 -
   Oxygen3 24h-365d, by Panda Software (http://www.pandasoftware.com)

Madrid, May 12, 2004 - Microsoft has published the monthly security bulletin
for May (*), which informs of a vulnerability in the Help and Support Center
in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003. The security bulletin also
announces that the corresponding update is available and advises users to
install it as soon as possible through the Windows Update web page.

This security flaw lies in the way the affected service handles HCP URL
validation. An attacker who exploited this vulnerability would be able to
gain complete control over the affected system and would therefore be able
to carry out different actions, including installing programs, changing or
deleting data or creating new accounts with full privileges.

Microsoft explains in this bulletin that user intervention is needed in
order to exploit this vulnerability.

(*) This security bulletin is available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-015.mspx

NOTE: The address above may not show up on your screen as a single line.
This would prevent you from using the link to access the web page. If this
happens, just use the 'cut' and 'paste' options to join the pieces of the
URL.

The 5 viruses most frequently detected by
Panda ActiveScan, Panda Software's free online scanner:
1) Netsky.P; 2) Qhost.gen; 3) Briss.A; 4) Netsky.D; 5)
Nachi.B.

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member