[virusinfo] Re: Sophos Anti-Virus IDE alert: W32/Mytob-AH

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:45:25 -0700

From; Sophos Alert System:

Name: W32/Mytob-AH
Type: Win32 worm
Date: 21 April 2005

A virus identity (IDE) file which provides protection is
available now from the Sophos website, and will be incorporated
into the June 2005 (3.94) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Customers using EM Library, PureMessage or any of our Sophos
small business solutions will be automatically protected at
their next scheduled update.

At the time of writing, Sophos has received no reports from
users affected by this worm. However, we have issued this
advisory following enquiries to our support department from
customers.

Information about W32/Mytob-AH can be found at:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobah.html

W32/Mytob-AH is a mass-mailing network worm with IRC backdoor functionality.
W32/Mytob-AH copies itself to the file hostdrvXP.exe in the Windows system
folder and creates the following registry entries in order to run at logon:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\OLE
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\OLE
WINTASKMANAGER
hostdrvXP.exe
Emails sent by W32/Mytob-AH will have the following characteristics:
Subject line: one of
Good day
hello
Mail Delivery System
Mail Transaction Failed
Server Report
Status
Error
<random text>
Message text: one of
Here are your banks documents.
The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as
a binary attachment. The
original message was included as an attachment.
The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary
attachment.
Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available.
Attached file: one of
document
readme
doc
text
file
data
test
message
body
<random text>
Attachment extension: one of
pif
scr
exe
cmd
bat
The attached file may have a double extension.
The worm will also drop hellmsn.exe into the C:\ folder and copy itself to the
C:\ folder as the following files:
funny_pic.scr
my_photo2005.scr
see_this!!.scr
Sophos detects hellmsn.exe as W32/Mytob-D.
W32/Mytob-AH will also modify the HOSTS file to prevent access to various
Anti-Virus and security related websites.
W32/Mytob-AH connects to a preconfigured IRC server and joins a channel in
which it can await further instructions.
W32/Mytob-AH attempts to spread to randomly-chosen IP addresses by exploiting
the LSASS vulnerability (MS04-011). The patch for this vulnerability can be
obtained from the Microsoft website:
MS04-011

Download the IDE file from:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/mytob-ah.ide

Download all the IDE files available for the current version of
Sophos Anti-Virus in a single compressed file. The file is
available in two formats:

Zip file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.zip

Self-extracting file:
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/ides.exe

Read about how to use IDE files at
http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/using.html

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member