[virusinfo] Companies fail to implement basic Wi-Fi securit y - 03/14/05

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:06:04 -0800

From; Panda Oxygen3:

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
    Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862); US essayist, poet.

   - Companies fail to implement basic Wi-Fi security -
 Oxygen3 24h-365d, by Panda Software (http://www.pandasoftware.com)

Madrid, March 14, 2005 - According to an article published by Newsfactor
Technology News, at
http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Report__Businesses_Failing
_To_Take_Basic_Wi_Fi_Security_Precautions&story_id=31151, the results of an
annual survey carried out by RSA Security show that over a third of Wi-Fi
networks used by companies are not secure, leaving the company exposed to
attack from hackers on the street or in nearby buildings.

Wireless networks are getting more popular; however, the lack of security is
a serious threat to companies that have not adopted measures to protect
against those that could easily tap into Wi-Fi systems, deployed from
private locations.

The survey shows that in European cities wireless networks are growing at an
annual rate of 60 percent, and that many of them do not have any access
control. What's more, business centers in New York, San Francisco, London
and Frankfurt were also examined. In all cases, the number of unsecured
networks was over 33 percent (New York, 38 percent; San Francisco, 36
percent; London, 36 percent; and Frankfurt, 34 percent).

In the majority of cases, the problems were due to failure to adopt basic
security precautions, such as changing the default network settings or
activating encryption technologies.

NOTE: The address above may not show up on your screen as a single line.
This would prevent you from using the link to access the web page. If this
happens, just use the 'cut' and 'paste' options to join the pieces of the
URL.

The 5 viruses most frequently detected by Panda ActiveScan, Panda Software's
free online scanner: 1) Mhtredir.gen; 2) Shinwow.E; 3) Downloader.GK; 4)
Sdbot.ftp; 5) Netsky.P.

To contact with Panda Software, please visit:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/about/contact/

*********** MIKE"S REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/worm_removal.htm
See my Anti-Virus pages  http://virusinfo.hackfix.org/index
A Technical Support Alliance  and OWTA Charter Member