[vip_students] siri helping with type 1 diabetic

  • From: "Aine O'Mahony" <ainemaeomahony@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 20:34:48 -0000

Hi everyone,
siri has been a topic for a number of weeks now and just thought I would share
how helpful I find him. As blindness is linked to type 1 diabetis, and being a
diabetic myself, I was elated to realise how siri could help me. I have to
regulate my insulin and know the amount to take based on my carb intake e.g 1
slice of bread is 12.5g of carbs therefore I would take 1unit of insulin. Now
as someone with no sight I used to have to plan my day in advance of what I
could eat, the hassel of getting my laptop out to look up how many carbs is in
a particular product was daunting and time consuming. I would have to then get
the info and add it to a word document for further reference. Eating out was a
nightmare as I couldnt very well cart around my laptop to know how many carbs
were in a potato waffle!
Now I just hold down the home key on my phone and ask siri " How many carbs are
in..." and he looks it up or directly gives me the answer.
Now my life is so much easier and have better control, of course this works for
anyone following a calorie controlled diet etc. While siri can be tempermental
and sometimes may not be able to take requests, I have to say dont know how I
did without him!
Hope this also may be helpful to anyone considering purchasing an ifone.

Regards
Aine Mae