[vip_students] Word Notes: Left aligned, right aligned, cantered, and justified paragraphs.

  • From: "NCBI Technical Support" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:02:26 +0100

Let's move on to paragraph formatting and how to align paragraphs to the left,
right, centre, or justified on a page.
We will also learn how to do something that's not related to paragraph
formatting at all, but is still useful: inserting the current date into a
document.

Let's begin by copying the below poem into a word document as it appears.

Step 1.
Bring the  cursor to the beginning of the first line of the poem and then the
first character of the first word on that line. I always find this the best way
to start a selecting text and copying process.
Step 2.
Press and hold down the shift key and then press the down arrow till all the
lines of the poem are selected, right down to the last line of the poem and
then press the "end key" while still holding down the shift key in order to
ensure that you have all text selected.

Step 3.
Now use keys "control + letter C" to copy the poem and move into a word blank
document.

Step 4.
Use keys "control + V" to paste the contents of the clipboard into the blank
word document and we are ready to begin our alignment procedures.

(Selecting and Aligning)

Once again we have to select the text if we wish to  have it all aligned into
the centre of our document and when its printed off it looks nicely placed on
the paper.

Step 1.
Bring the  cursor to the beginning of the first line of the poem and then the
first character of the first word on that line. I always find this the best way
to start a selecting text and copying process.
Step 2.
Press and hold down the shift key and then press the down arrow till all the
lines of the poem are selected, right down to the last line of the poem and
then press the "end key" while still holding down the shift key in order to
ensure that you have all text selected.

(Beginning of the poem)

The Belltower

the weighing is done in autumn
and the sifting
what is to be threshed
is threshed in autumn
what is to be gathered is taken

the wind does not die in autumn
the moon
shifts endlessly thru flying clouds
in autumn the sea is high

& a golden light plays everywhere
making it harder
to go one's way.
all leave-taking is in autumn
where there is leavetaking
it is always autumn
& the sun is a crystal ball
on a golden stand
& the wind
cannot make the spruce scream
loud enough

Diane Di Prima

(End)

Now we are ready to align the text on the page. We can use two methods to
accomplish this;

1. Click the Centre button on the Formatting toolbar .
This can be done if you are a mouse user but can also be done from the keyboard
as well.

2. Use keys "control + letter E" to centre the text instantly after you have
selected it.

Note: You can use keys;
*. Control + E to centre  text.
*. Control + L to left aligned text.
*. Control + letter R to right aligned text.

(Centering the  Documents Heading)

Let's say we wish to centre one line of text. In this case we would just pick
out the line of text we want to centre and select it. I took for example the
first line of the poem which is its title;
" The Belltower"

After I used the appropriate keys to select my text in this case I used keys,
"control, Shift + right arrow to select a word at a time. Make yourself
familiar with the keys for selecting text. I then used keys, "control + letter
E" to centre the text.

(Adding in a date)

Now let's add a new line with the date.

Let's go to the line at the bottom of the poem just beneath the authors  name.
In here we will place a date. It can be any date but we will use the current
date.

We will press enter key once when we are positioned beneath the authors name.
The new paragraph is also centered like the one above it. That's because when
you press Enter, the new paragraph "inherits" the same formatting as the
paragraph
above it.

(Ways of inserting a date)

1. Select Insert, "alt + I."

2. Down arrow.

3. Choose Date and Time from the menu .

4. The Date and Time dialog box opens, Word automatically inserts the date,
based on your computer's internal clock. Make sure that
the "Update automatically" check box is not checked, or the date will change
every time you save or print the document.
Note however having the update checkbox checked can be useful if you are using
it n a template.

5. Arrow through the options and Click the third option from the list, and
click OK .

Today's date (or the date your computer thinks it is) is inserted into the
document.

There is one other way you can instantly insert a date and one I use myself.
When you are on the position within your document that you wish to insert a
date, just use keys; "left alt, shift and letter D". This will enter the
current date instantly for you.

(Justification)

Lets ensure that both sides of the poem are even in the centre of the page.
Note: Ensure that you have selected the text of the poem prior to justifying it.

1. If you are a magnification user, Click the Justify button on the Formatting
toolbar .

2. For screen reader users, Another way to justify is to press Ctrl + J .

The paragraph is justified—both the left and right edges of the paragraph are
even.
(Aligning Right)

Step 1.
Press Ctrl + End to move the insertion point to the end of the document and
press Enter twice .

1. For magnification users, Click the Align Right button on the Formatting
toolbar .

2. For screen reader users, Another way to align right is to press Ctrl + R .
The paragraph is formatted to the very right of the margin.

If you want to change the alignment of your paragraphs the hard way, you can
also use the  Format menu, "alt + O"  then arrow down to Paragraph from the
menu  and enter.

2. The paragraph dialogue box appears, Here you can select paragraph alignment
from the Alignment list. Although it's much easier and faster to use the
Formatting
toolbars to align paragraphs, if you are formatting another element of a
paragraph, such as its spacing (more on that later!), you might as well use the
Paragraph dialog box to adjust the paragraph alignment at the same time.

3. After you make your changes in here just tab to the ok button and enter on
it.

QUICK REFERENCE

TO LEFT-ALIGN A PARAGRAPH:

CLICK THE ALIGN LEFT BUTTON ON THE FORMATTING TOOLBAR OR PRESS CTRL + L .

TO CENTER A PARAGRAPH:

CLICK THE CENTER BUTTON ON THE FORMATTING TOOLBAR OR PRESS CTRL + E .

TO RIGHT-ALIGN A PARAGRAPH:

CLICK THE ALIGN RIGHT BUTTON ON THE FORMATTING TOOLBAR OR PRESS CTRL + R .

TO JUSTIFY A PARAGRAPH:

CLICK THE Justify BUTTON ON THE FORMATTING TOOLBAR OR PRESS CTRL + J .

TO ALIGN A PARAGRAPH WITH THE PARAGRAPH DIALOG BOX:

SELECT FORMAT → PARAGRAPH FROM THE MENU AND SELECT THE PARAGRAPH ALIGNMENT FROM
THE ALIGNMENT LIST.

It has removed 302 spam emails to date.