[vip_students] Webtexts (update)

  • From: "John O'Regan" <sponge.belly@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:50:37 +0000

Hello Again,

  Someone asked me about this off-list so I thought I'd redistribute
my previous posting.  It also needed updating because the o2.ie
website has changed.

  If you're an O2 customer, you're entitled to 250 free webtexts to
almost anywhere in the world per month.  Here's how I got the service
to work using JAWS 11 and Internet Explorer 8.

  First, you must switch off your pop-up blocker or at least allow
pop-ups from the o2.ie website.  Next, go to www.o2.ie and register.
Now you can login with your mobile number (eg, 0861234567) and
password.

  Now press b once or twice until you reach the Send a Webtext button
and pressSpace.  The Webtext page may take a while to load so be
patient.  Press Insert-F5 and select the third entry in the list
(helpfully named Unlabeled1).  Type the full international phone
number into the edit field: eg, 00353861234567.

  Next, tab down to the text area and enter your text message.  Up to
160 characters per text.  Go over that, and your text will be split
into two or more texts.  There's a handy character counter in a little
text box just above the text area.  Try to avoid accented characters
or obscure symbols.  Use just one of these bad boys and your whole
message will be treated as UTF-8 and your quota will be slashed from
160 to 70 characters.

  Next, search for a link with the text "Send now" and make sure the
PC Cursor is over it.  Press Insert-NumPadMinus to move the JAWS
Cursor to PC Cursor and then press NumPadSlash and a new window should
pop up asking you if you'd like to enter contact information for the
recipient of your text message.  This only happens if you don't
already have an addressbook entry for the recipient.

  This page is tricky.  First, press Insert-NumPadPlus to make sure
the PC Cursor is active, then find the graphic labeled: Check this
item, currently not checked and enabled."  Then press
Insert-NumPadMinus followed by NumPadSlash and the label should now
read: "Check this item, currently checked and enabled."  Switch the PC
Cursor back on and press Ctrl-Home to make sure you're at the top of
the page.  Press f once and press Enter to enter Forms Mode.  Now
enter the recipient's first name (eg, Clare).  Press Tab and enter a
last name (eg, Byrne).  Press Tab until you reach Save and press
Enter.

  There should now be an entry for Clare Byrne in your Address Book so
the next time you want to send her a webtext, go to the Send a Webtext
page, navigate down to the Unlabeled1 text field, type the first few
letters of her first name and press Tab.  Her name and number should
be autocompleted for you.

  That's all for now, but next time I'll tell you about the Address
Book and how to set up groups.  In the meantime, have a happy New Year
and a peaceful 2010,

yours,
John.