[vip_students] Tutorial:How to open and save PDF files with Kurzweil1000

  • From: "Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:16:27 -0000

Hi Everyone,

I have been kept pretty busy here hence the  lack of material going out on
the list recently so hope you can forgive me.  I was today talking to
someone who needed to open up a PDF document in a hurry. First they didn't
have the correct adobe reader present on their machine so I had to improvise
and soon remembered that they had Kurzweil 1000 on their machines. Also I
thought that once we could open up the PDf document in k1000 we could then
save it as a Microsoft word document for future reference. I wrote down the
instructions here for anyone else who might need them in the future.

(Opening up the PDF file)

first off, if you receive the PDF document via email it is important that
you save the attached file into your my documents folder. Do this in the
following way.

1. Open up your email program then open up the email which contains the
attachment.

2. Go into the file menu of the email and down arrow to "save attachments".
Press enter key.

3. Usually the attachment will go correctly into your "My Documents" folder
so just tab to the "save button" and press the space bar or enter key.

4. The file should now be saved in there so close up the email and email
program.

(Now open up your Kurzweil1000 scanning software if you have it on your
computer)
Note: You can do this by pressing keys "control + alt + K" or open up the
start menu, then go into program and arrow down to to
kurzweilEducationalSystems and right arrow in here, pressing enter on
Kurzweil and wait.

5. When the program opens up on screen, Press keys "control + Letter O" and
you will be presented with the following:

*. File name, type in a file name here and press the enter key to open it
up.

We are instead going to do a reverse tab using the "shift + tab"
combination. We will perform this move "twice" to get into the folders list.

6. When in the folders list we need to press the "back space key" twice".
The back space key is usually always just above the enter key of your
keyboard.

7. The above action has the affect of placing us within the main "my
documents folder" were we  previously saved the PDF document.

8. Now press the "tab key" once and we are landed within the list of files
and sub folders contained in My Documents.
Note: From within this list we need to arrow up or down through it till we
locate the file which is the PDF document we wish to open up within
Kurzweil.

9. Once we have arrowed to this file we just press the enter key on it and
Kurzweil will proceed to open it up for us.
Note: We will be notified by Kurzweil that it is scanning the PDF document
that is Kurzweil way of saying to us that it is converting the PDF document
from its original format into readable text for us to read.
Note: Depending n how big the PDF document is will determine how long it
takes Kurzweil to scan and convert it. So please be patient with it.

10. Finally you can now press the down arrow to see if there is a text
document there on your screens. If so then Kurzweil has done its job
converting the document.
Note: Kurzweil is not 100% sure of converting every PDF document so you may
from time to time get scan errors telling you that it cannot convert this
document. In this case you will have to resort to using the Adobe reader
version 8.1 or higher to read such documents and even its not always able to
do it either.

(Saving the converted text to Microsoft word format)

Here is where we now save the document as a word file for future use.

1. While the converted text is on the screen, go into the "file menu" and
arrow down to "save As".
2
. Now you will be asked to accept or give a new file name to the document.
At this point go ahead and type in a meaningful file name.

3. Next you have to tab key once to the "save as file formats box" and
choose to save your document as Microsoft Word. This is important because if
you don't do this then when you try and open up the file later it will
continue to open up in Kurzweil.

4. When in the file format box, press the letter "M" to jump you down
quickly to the Microsoft set of file formats and you will first land on the
"excel" format. Pressing down arrow once more will land you on the Microsoft
word format which is what we want.

5. When you have done this, tab key to the "ok button" and press spacebar or
enter key to have Kurzweil complete the saving of the file into a Word
document.

Note: Any files you save like this will automatically be placed within the
"My documents, KurzweilEducationalSystems, General" folder. You can go in
there and move them elsewhere if you like afterwards.

Good luck,

It has removed 3574 spam emails to date.