[vip_students] Re: Tutorial: Reading articles from the Examiner Newspaper On Line!

  • From: "Sean Kavanagh" <seany2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 22:22:36 +0100

Great stuff number one.  Many thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: vip_students-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:vip_students-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of (NCBI) Paul Traynor
Sent: 04 June 2011 16:24
To: vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vip_students] Tutorial: Reading articles from the Examiner
Newspaper On Line!

Reading The Newspaper On-Line

We will first take a look at the Examiner web site at the following link;
www.examiner.ie

How I begin to go to this web site is as follows:
1. Open the start menu and then press "R" for run. A run dialogue box will
open up for you to type something into, type in the following address;

www.examiner.ie

Notes: If you are already within Internet Explorer, press keys "control + O"
and then type in the address above followed by the enter key.

2. Press the enter key and wait for the page to load up, usually it's a good
idea to wait for jaws to start speaking through the various components of
the page.

Notes: before you try and go any further, give jaws a few moments as this
also gives time for the page to load up fully.

3. When you think the page has loaded up completely, press the "Control key"
to stop jaws from speaking.

4. At this point you can begin to review what the paper has to offer you in
terms of information by using your arrow keys. We are mainly concerned with
what news articles the page has on it so let's first pull up a list of
headings. The purpose of doing this is to  give us a quick summary of what
kind of news headlines are available to us on a daily basis. News changes
hourly so what  was there today could be very different tomorrow.

5. Press keys, "jaws key + F6" to pull up the list of headings. Remember
this is a jaws specific keystroke and quickly  pulls into a list any
available headings on that particular web page.

6. Use your arrow keys to move down through the content which is available
to you from within those headings. Give this a try now and when finished
press the escape key to exit out of the list.

Notes: You may notice that as you arrow down through the list of headings
jaws may announce numbers such as "2, 3, 2, 1, 3" in a random number order.
What this information means is that it  relates to the type of heading style
used on each heading.
Heading styles are important, they indicate to us were  an item is located
within  the structure of the document. A heading style of "1" can  indicate
that this is the title of a story while a heading level 2 style is the
summary heading of the story you are about to read.
You can also find such heading styles within a word document, PDF document
and many other kinds of documents apart from web pages. It should be noted
here that not all web pages contain such headings and this in my opinion
reflects poor web page design as headings can make for much easier
navigation for those of us experiencing visual problems.

[How to access a particular item of interest]

Now that we have begun to understand  how useful  the list of headings can
be, we would like to access a more detailed understanding of what various
headline articles "Denoted by heading styles" are about.

1. Press the key, "jaws key + F6" to pull up the list of headings on our
page.

2. Use the arrow keys to move down through the list of headings until you
come to one of interest.

3. Press the "Enter key" to  jump to that heading which happens to be the
beginning of the headline about the item we are interested in.

4. For me, I picked out a headline which was noted as a "heading level 3"
headline and related to the recent spell of good weather we had here as
follows;

The heading was: Hotter than the Sahara "heading level 3"

The authors were: By Alistair Grant and Sean O'Riordan

The summary of the article: BREAK out the sun cream. It's going to be
another scorcher today with temperatures likely to be the best in Munster,
Leinster and the Midlands, where they will reach highs of 22C.

The important link to the main story itself: Link Read article

Notes: If you arrow back up a bit to where I arrived  using the list of
headings we learned about earlier you will see that

what I got were the following pieces of information;
*. The headline of the article, including a number denoting the level
heading.
*. The authors of the article.
*. A brief summary of the story.
*. Finally by down arrowing a couple of extra lines a "web link" to the main
body of the  story I wished to read about called

"Link, Read Full Article".

It is important to remember that when down arrowing through newspaper
articles you may encounter times when it may appear to you that no further
text relating to the story of interest is visible to you or jaws. This is
often mis-leading for the following reasons;
*. Newspapers aren't in the business of producing stories for you and I for
"Free". So what they do is break into the middle of the text with a big bold
advertisement or indeed more than one advertisement.
*. Sometimes for whatever reason there can be simply be one or many blank
lines between the summary text and the  full story, be patient and arrow
down carefully until you reach more text which  is in fact the related
story.
*. Lastly but perhaps not least, is a simple straight forward link with the
name "Read full article" as is the case here in the Examiner.

Okay so now let's arrow down to the "Link Read Full Article" and press the
enter key on it so we can continue reading about how long we may have this
nice weather.

5. After pressing enter on the "Read full article" link I waited a moment or
two for the next page to load up.

6. When I was satisfied my page had loaded and remember to give your web
pages a little time as some pages will load faster or slower than others,
remember that patience is important here, I promptly stopped jaws from
reading out the entire contents of the page by pressing the "Control Key"
once as it didn't interest me  to hear other stuff, just the main article.

Notes: Now I  am hoping that  there will be a heading on this page which
will if I use my screen reader tools correctly land me on the beginning of
the article I wish to read about. In this case I am looking for a
well-placed heading style which I hope the web designers of the Examiner
newspaper have implemented as part of good web design.

7. Press the jaws keys, "jaws key + F6" to pull up a list of heading styles.
Remember, you can also jump to a heading using the letter "H" and as I have
noted this "H" key can be used by some other screen readers as well as jaws.

8. Jaws announces just one heading this time as follows;

Heading level 3, Hotter than the Sahara

Notes: Notice that the headline I came across told me that the headline
just preceding the main text of the article was a heading level 3.
I also got the following information as I arrowed down to the main story;
The authors: By Alistair Grant and Sean O'Riordan

The date: Saturday, June 04, 2011

Finally: The main story.I am not going to insert the main text of the
article here but I am sure you get the idea.

This is my way of reading a newspaper such as the Examiner. While the
techniques above work nicely for the Examiner, it doesn't follow it will
work for  many others. I will write up more tutorials  later on how items on
other newspapers can be accessed so watch this space.

For jaws users, you can use some useful keystrokes which will help enhance
your ability to understand and use the newspaper more efficiently.

Jaws specific keystrokes:
*. Pull up a list of useful headings on a newspaper site, (Jaws key + F6)
*. Also use the letter "H" while on a web page to jump to individual
headings.
*. Pull up a list of links, (Jaws key + F7)
*. Pull up a list of form fields, (jaws key + F5) this would include a
search edit box and any other elements such as checkboxes, combo boxes etc.

NCBI: Celebrating 80 Years

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is a company
limited by guarantee (registered in Ireland No. 26293) .
Our registered office is at Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
NCBI is also a registered Charity (chy4626).