[vip_students] Searching for an old e mail

  • From: "Robert Forde" <bobforde2020@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:02:02 +0100

Hi Folks,

Could somebody kindly tell me how I would go about searching for an old e mail
in outlook express please.
For example, If I went into my sent items folder and wanted to find
"paul.traynor@xxxxxxxx instead of me arrowing up and down 1 by 1. What are the
key strokes in order to search for  all related messages?

Thanks a mill,

Robbie

To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [vip_students] Internet Explorer: Accessing the information bar!
Date: 02 August 2007 13:19

Hi All,

I thought I would  just write a little about a feature that pretty much most
of you ill have come across when using recent versions of Internet Explorer
6 and 7. It is a feature called the "information bar" and pops up whenever
you attempt to download a file from the internet or a web site prompts you
that it wishes to install  an active X object.
I took the following  definition down from the web as to what an active X
item is;
. A software technology developed by Microsoft that allows programmed
capabilities or content to be delivered to Windows-based personal computers
via the
World Wide Web. Active X is notable for a complete lack of security
controls; computer security experts discourage its use over the Internet.
www.netdictionary.com/a.html

The switch from dialogs to the Information Bar for things such as automatic
file downloads, ActiveX installs and related notifications was one of the
larger
user experience changes introduced in IE for Windows XPSP2. It can in many
instances cause focus problems for a screen reader user and confuse him or
her as to what to do next.
I've seen many screen reading users ask about the Information Bar on various
discussion forums.  The most important question deals with how to get access
to the bar with the keyboard.
The hotkey for setting focus to the Information Bar is:
*. alt+n.
You can then press the spacebar  to receive a menu of choices related to the
notification being displayed.  The Escape key will close the Information
Bar.

So let's take an example of what might happen if I were about to download a
file from the internet or a web site begins to prompt me that it wants to
install an active x object.

1. I press the enter key on a link to begin downloading a file.

2. I hear a "blip sound" this indicates to me that I am being prompted to
make a decision before my computer will allow the file  down to my hard
drive. (This is the information bar kicking in)

3. When I hear the blip sound, I then press keys; "alt + letter N".

4. Next I press the "spacebar" and a menu pops up.

5. In this menu the first choice I will encounter will be something like
"download this file" and if I am happy to download the file I press the
enter key on this choice.

6. Pretty soon afterwards the file will begin to download. It is similar for
the active X components that some web sites ask you to download however I
would be a little more  wary of downloading these objects.

(Additional information for advanced users)
If you prefer notifications about blocked activities through dialogs, you
can revert to this behavior by turning off Information Bar notifications for
certain
activities.  The help under Internet Explorer's Information Bar has full
details on the procedures for making these changes.  That said we recommend
leaving
the Information Bar on and using alt+n to access the Information Bar with
the keyboard when it appears.

Pop-Up Blocking and Screen Readers

IE's pop-up blocking technology attempts to allow a class of pop-ups that we
consider "user initiated".  Briefly this means that if the pop-up is the
result
of pressing Enter or clicking on a link, IE will generally allow the pop-up.

As mentioned earlier, inside IE most screen readers present a modified view
of web pages by default.  One result of this is that when in this modified
view,
even though you may be pressing Enter to activate a link, the link itself is
being activated through one of several programmatic methods.  In some
instances
you may find that you press Enter on a link and the result is still a
blocked pop-up.  In such cases you can use a feature common to most screen
readers
and typically known as Pass Key Through or some variation on this name.
Using your screen reader's hot key for this feature and then pressing Enter
on
the link you want to activate will send the standard Enter key to IE.  In
most cases if the pop-up should be allowed by IE's pop-up blocker after
this,
the new window will open.

Accessibility in IE7 and Beyond

Accessibility is something Microsoft, the IE team and I take very seriously.
We want to continue building software that can be accessed by everyone as
well as ensure that the wide range of assistive technology products for
Windows and IE work well with what we develop.  We'd like your feedback on
what's
working well for you today, where you'd like us to improve and in general
hear your thoughts around accessibility and Internet Explorer.  We look
forward
to your thoughts on the topic of accessibility and Internet Explorer here on
IE's blog.

Kelly