[vip_students] Maintenance: Working with CCleaner!

  • From: "[NCBI] Support" <support@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:43:27 -0000

Hi All,

It's the start of a new year and I thought it might be a good idea to take a
look at doing some maintenance work on our computers by giving them a bit of
a clean-up. I have given you two tutorials here, one that I sent out before
and a second one which also looks at cleaning up the windows registory. Give
them both a go and see how you get on.

(Performing a disk cleanup)

When doing a disk cleanup of my computer I use the excellent "CCleaner"
software which is free to download and work with in order to perform
maintenance on your computer. In this tutorial we will use the "Cleanup"
tool to do a system wide cleaning of our computer's hard drive.

First however here is the all-important link to the software you need to
download and install on your computer. The installation is pretty straight
forward so just take your time following it through carefully;

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

For those just starting to use CCleaner when you first open it up you will
have the following items which you can move too using the "Tab key" on your
computer. People using a mouse can simply click on the item they wish to
use;

*. Check for updates.
*. Cleaner, "performs a disk cleanup on your computer"
*. Registry, "Searches through the windows registry and cleans out any old
unnecessary entries"
*. Tools, "Contains extra utilities that may be of use"
*. Options, "You can configure the CCleaner software in here".

To begin using the CCleaner  application we will use the "Cleaner" utility
which performs a thorough scan of the disks hard drive and then gives us the
option to remove or keep anything we want which it has found and considers
junk and surplus to our requirements.
Let's get started;

1. Open up the "CCleaner" software from the icon on our desktop which it
places there when it is installed on the computer.
2. Press the "Tab key" till you come to the "Cleaner" button and press the
spacebar key once.
3. Now press the "Tab key" a total of six times and you should be on the
"Analyze button", here once again press the spacebar once and the cleaner
utility will begin to check through your computer's hard drive.
Notes: When the cleaner utility begins working you need to give it time.
Depending on how large the hard drive and how long the computer has been
used without any cleaning tasks performed will determine how long it takes
to complete the search for junk items. When it has completed it will return
you back to the "Analyze button" waiting for the next instruction.
4. When the search for junk items has completed and you are back on the
analysis button, press the tab key once and you will be focused on the "Run
cleaner button". Press the spacebar once to start this process which
ultimately removes all discovered items on your hard disk.
5. You will now be warned that all found items will be permanently deleted
from your computer and you will get an OK button to click on either with the
spacebar or a mouse in order to continue. If you are happy to go ahead and
remove all these items then press the spacebar or mouse click on the OK
button and the process will continue.
Note: When CCleaner has finished cleaning the hard drive you will be
returned to the "Analyze button", at this point we will consider the work
finished and so close out of CCleaner by using keys, "Alt + F4" or left
mouse click on the close icon at the top right side of the CCleaner screen.

[Performing a registry cleanup]

Again using the CCleaner software we will now use it to perform a cleanup of
the Windows registry as follows;

1. If you already have CCleaner installed on your computer find it on the
desktop and press enter key to open.
Note: If you don't have CCleaner installed use the link I have provided
earlier in this email to download and install.
2. When CCleaner opens up, press the tab key till you reach the "registry"
button and with the spacebar press once on the button or left mouse click.
3. Now using the tab key press it five times to jump onto the "Scan for
issues" button and press spacebar once. Mouse users, left click once on
"Scan for issues" to activate.
Notes: Depending on how bad your registry is with  old and useless entries
will determine how long the scan takes. When the scan has completed you will
be returned to the "Scan for issues" button and now you take the next steps.
4. Keyboard users, press the tab key once where it says, "Fix selected
issues" and press the spacebar once. Mouse users, left click once on "Fix
selected issues".
Notes: At this point you will be asked if you want to backup changes to the
registry, I generally answer No to this.
5. Now on the next screen you are given two choices, "Fix issue" button or
"Fix all selected issues" button, keyboard users, tab over to the "Fix all
selected issues" and press spacebar once. For mouse users, left click once
on "Fix all selected issues" to begin the cleanup process of the registry.
6. Once you have activated the "Fix all selected issues" button the cleaning
starts and you need to give it time to complete. For those of us who are
without any vision unfortunately our screen reader doesn't indicate to us if
the cleaning process has completed so I would suggest that you just give it
say about 5 minutes or so to complete its task before you move to the
"Close" button with the tab key and pressing spacebar to finish. Mouse users
left click once on the "Close" button to complete.
Notes: Sometimes it's a good idea to  repeat the registry cleaning a few
times in order to make sure that you have completely removed any unwanted or
unused entries from it. When you have finished the registry cleaning just
use keys, "Left Alt + F4" to close out of CCleaner. Mouse users click on the
X at the top right side of your CCleaner screen.

---
is active.

Follow us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ncbiworkingforpeoplewithsightloss
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ncbi_sightloss

Check-out NCBI's Micheal O Muircheartaigh appeal on the following link.
http://youtu.be/25P2tiuCi0U

NCBI Group - CRO No 26293  CHY 20902
NCBI Services - CRO No 527862  CHY 4626
NCBI Retail - CRO No 527863  CHY 20619
NCBI Charitable Foundation - CRO No 527864 CHY 12673

Information in this email (including attachments) is confidential.  It is
intended for receipt and consideration only by the intended recipient.  If you
are not an addressee or intended recipient, any use, dissemination,
distribution, disclosure, publication or copying of information contained in
this email is strictly prohibited.  Opinions expressed in this email may be
personal to the author and are not necessarily the opinions of NCBI.

If this email has been received by you in error we would be grateful if you
could immediately notify the IT Service Desk by telephone at +353 1 8821911 or
by email to service.desk@xxxxxxx and thereafter delete this e-mail from your
system