[vip_students] Re: Listening via other Player

  • From: "Paul Halligan" <tigerone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:57:41 +0100

hi tony and gang

here is a tutorial for the Shoutcast radio site which you might find useful
re listening and making up a stations folder.

tutorial begins

the Shoutcast site address is

http://classic.shoutcast.com/directory/index.phtml?sgenre=&maxbitrate=999&numresult=25&s=russia

Listening to internet radio

Using Shoutcast

For this tutorial it is most helpful to download the winamp player which is
found in the list of links when you open the shoutcast home page.

Then you can pick the genre or type of music you want to listen to e.g. pop,
classical, spoken etc

Or

you can type in a country for their list of radio stations

listening by picking a genre

1 go to the shoutcast radio site

As mentioned we can search for different genres of music by accessing the
comprehensive list of genres combo box

To get to this you can  go the long route and tab for a long time , about 30
tabs until you hear jaws say contemporary list of genres combo box

Or a shorter way is

2 pull up the list of links using insert and f7

3  arrow down the links until you hear 'images sc_ live'

4 now be careful

press alt and m to move to this link, this is the shortcut for move to link

you will then land on the sc_live link

we do not want to activate it.it is just gives us a helpful navigation
bearing.

5 tab once more and you are in the comprehensive genre list combo box.

This is a combo box where you can now press enter and then you can arrow
down the different genres.

6 when you find the genre you want , lets say for example classical,

Tab again and you can select the different band widths, which is dutch to me
so I just ignore it.

7 now tab again and you can limit the amount of results you see or in our
case hear on each page. I usually set it at five which is convenient for
navigation and later when we create a station folder on the desktop.

8 tab again and  you will hear 'search for'

then tab once more and you will hear search. Press enter

9 Your page now has the results of the genre you chose.in this case we asked
to be shown 5 at a time.

Part 2

Picking by country

Lets say you don't want to pick by genre but just want to see the stations
of a particular country

1 with the shoutcast home page open pull up the list of links with insert
and f7

2 arrow down the list of links to sc_live but again make sure you only press
alt and m to move to the link rather than activate it.

3 tab again until you hear search for and here type in the country you want

4 tab again until you here search and press enter

The stations of the country you have chosen will show in the results found

5 don't forget you can reduce or increase the amount of results found that
are shown

6 when the results page opens pull up the list of links again and find the
station you want, above the name of the station you should hear something
like 'listen tune in' and if you press enter you can listen to that station.

Stations folder

Right so you have been finding stations all over the world and listened to
all kinds of genres in all kinds of countries, but now you are saying, hey I'd
really like to have a radio station folder on my desktop where I could have
maybe 20 of my favourite world stations

Pas de problem

1 go to the tutorial above and find a station you want to keep.

2 let it open and if you have the winamp player when the station is playing
go to file and arrow down to save playlist.

3 basically you are now being asked where you want to save the station you
are listening to, so first let the file name be the name of the station

4  tab around until you hear save in  and let the save in location be my
documents.

5 when you have added a few stations this way to you're my documents folder
you could then create a new folder on your desktop and move the stations to
it.

6next time you find a new station that you want to put in the stations
folder, just repeat STEP 3 and 4 but make sure that your save in location
puts the new station in the desktop folder.

Happy listening!

If you need any clarification on any of the above you can contact me off
list if you like

Paul H

Tigerone@xxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Sweeney" <
tonysweeney@xxxxx>
hi All, Now when I listen to a radio show say in media player and the sound is not good can I then switch to another player and if so how to do?

Not sayinng that it may be an improvement of volume but any thoughts greatly appreciated as always!!

Tony