[vip_committees] DuBois Library Magnifier

  • From: Blaine Clark <thelight9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hank Bloomberg Chapter List <vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:35:48 -0500

Hello all,

The DuBois Public Library has a document magnifier. It's been donated by the son of the user.

It's hooked up to a medium sized TV screen which allows very good field width for magnifying. The flat bed platform allows books, magazines, newspapers and other flat dimensioned items to be enlarged. I'm not sure if it will enlarge three dimensional objects, but it uses an overhead camera to scan with, so I'm going to guess that it will handle 3D objects.

This is the item they had mentioned to me before as being their new accessible addition, but hadn't explained what it was because they hadn't gotten it set up yet. They really didn't know what they had at that point.

Other than basic Microsoft accessibility features, they are still lacking full screen reader technology. They mentioned that they were looking at the one that didn't need to be downloaded, and I'm assuming they meant the WebAnywhere project which is OK for web browsing but doesn't work for Desktop Applications. I gave the Supervisor a copy of the Vinux Installation. She is going to be meeting with the Technical Operations man soon and will have him look it over for evaluation. She also mentioned that he uses Linux for his own use, so he will be on top of the game when he checks Vinux over.

Blaine

--
Please remove all email addresses&  any other personal information before
forwarding this or any other email.

- Users can subscribe to the list by sending email to vip_committees-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at //www.freelists.org/list/vip_committees. You can also unsubscribe, turn on and off Vacation Hold and set your preference for a once-a-day digest or to receive each message as it is posted on the list page.

- Online, searchable archives of the list are available at //www.freelists.org/archive/vip_committees Each list's archive is automatically updated as new messages come in.

- There's a FAQ at //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq.