[vicsireland] Re: screen reader for linux

  • From: "Darragh Ó Héiligh" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:06:24 +0100

Gus,

Just some of the screen readers for Linux are:
Speakup - Console.
BrlTTY - Console.
Yasr - Console.
Gnopernicus - Old versions of Linux with Gnome earlier than 2.18.
Orca - Newer versions of Linux from about two to three years with
Gnome 2.18 or later.
IBM's screen reader.  Cant think of the name of it.  For Gnome.  Not
very good though.
KDE's accessibility project.  Based around efferts for KTTS and
although it's about five or six  years old, the progress hasn't been
great.

If you give me more specifics as to what Linux distribution is
installed and it's version I'll be able to help you out with more
specific instructions.

Example: Get me the kernel version by typing uname -r at the console
when logged in as the root user. By knowing that, I'll have some small
idea of what version your at as for example, your using 2.6.12 you're
looking at about four years ago.  2.6.20 and 22 your looking at about
a year ago.

Darragh