[vicsireland] Update from the committee

  • From: chairperson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:57:55 -0000

Hi all

I hope this e-mail finds you all well.  I am writing to give you an update
on what's happening with VICS and to let you know of the events that you
can
look forward to over the coming months.

The date for renewing your membership To VICS has been extended to Friday
the 2nd of March so, I would encourage those of you who have not already
paid
to do so over the next week.    Subscription rates for this year are once
again ?10 for waged, and ?5 for
non-waged or students.  Subscriptions can be paid directly in cash, by
bank transfer, cheque, or postal order.  You can also pay online via the
VICS website.
 Cheques or postal orders along with your name and contact details should
be sent to the below address.  Note it is very important to include your name
and contact details, otherwise we will have no way of knowing who the payment
is from.
Ciaran Ferry,
5 Foxhill Grove,
Baldoyle,
Dublin 13

Any queries should be directed to Ciaran Ferry by e-mail
treasurer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As you may now be aware, The VICS website is currently under construction
and, thanks to the hard work of the web committee, most of the
re-structuring
of the website has now taken place.  The website will be accessible, easy
to navigate and provide VICS members with a useful resource of information
with
regard to VICS and its upcoming events and technology, to include, useful
links, articles, tutorials and podcasts.

We are looking for tutorials/articles/useful information from our members.
 If you feel you would have something to contribute, either in audio or
text,
you are more than welcome to contact the committee.

We envisage that, the website will be the focal point of VICS and,
therefore, the more input we have from our members, the better the website
will become.
 It will continue to be a work in progress and will be constantly updated
with new content.  It will be a very useful resource for VICS members.

On the 21st of April, VICS in collaboration with NCBI will hold a screen
reader/magnification information day where attendees will be able to find
out
about the different software available. More information will follow shortly.

There will be another VICS training day in May.  It will be coming down
south to Kerry this time.  The date and venue are to be confirmed.  This
is an
excellent opportunity for VICS members to learn more about technology such
as Internet and e-mail, Microsoft applications, mobile Phones and Apple
products.
 It is also a nice way to meet other VICS members.  The training days have
proven to be very popular with people learning from each other.

VICS recently turned 25 years and to mark the occasion, we will hold an
informal get together in Dublin.  This will coincide with the VICS AGM in
June.
 We are in the process of finalizing plans for this event.  When I have
more information, I will let the list know.

If you have any feedback or suggestions, please feel free to discuss it on
the list or, you can contact members of the committee directly.

I will write again soon with a further update.

Kind regards to all
Joan Ann Brosnan
Chairperson.