[vicsireland] Anti Toolkit Software

  • From: "Gerard Ellis" <gerry.ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:55:02 +0100

Hi,

I'm sure that most of you have heard of malware, spyware, spam, etc. These are
all ways that people without your benefit in mind can gain access to your
computer, find out information that you don't want them to know or otherwise
cause a nuisence.

There are several pieces of software that can be used to search for these, some
more Jaws friendly than others. However, there is a new threat that renders
these softwares useless called Rootkits. These install information into memory,
the Registry or directly onto your hard disk which gives a false reading to
other scan software, thus hiding malicious software.

There is a simple but very effective piece of free software to scan and
eliminate Rootkits; and what's more I found it very easy to use with Jaws. Find
it at:
www.sophos.com

Once installed, run SARGUI.EXE in the folder where it has been placed,
typically:
c:\program files\sophos\sophos anti-rootkit

Take Care,

Gerry Ellis

Tel +353-(0)1 282-7791
Mob +353-(0)85 716-8665