[vibe] Blind Black and Blue

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 15:45:36 +0000

Hi All,

Tomorrow evening the Sunday Feature on Radio Three is Blind Black and Blue, about blind black blues musicians who rose to fame last century.  Apart from hopefully being of interest anyway, it's also worth knowing that it was made entirely by blind people.  The presenter, Gary O'Donoghue, the blind journalist, had the idea for the programme.  The producer is Lee Kumutat, known for In Touch and Money Box among other things, and I was the sound engineer.

Below is an article about the programme from last week's Sunday Times.

Best,

Peter

Sunday Times: Sightless BBC team leads salute to blind blues stars

Pic of Gary in suit outside NBH with caption "Gary O’Donoghue, the BBC’s Washington correspondent, is a blues fan who plays the guitar"

When Gary O’Donoghue joined the BBC 25 years ago, after doing work experience in the broadcaster’s braille department, he was told that he would never become a reporter because he was blind.

He proved his doubters wrong, however, as BBC viewers know well, becoming the broadcaster’s Washington correspondent. Next Sunday, he will present a radio programme about blind musicians, made by a team that includes blind members.

The Radio 3 documentary — Blind, Black and Blue — explores the successes and struggles of blind American blues musicians and singers from the southern states in the first half of last century. His producer, Lee Kumutat, who went with him to America for the programme, is also blind, as is the sound engineer, Peter Bosher.

O’Donoghue, a blues fan who plays the guitar, first suggested the idea a decade ago but says it was then turned down.

O’Donoghue has seen attitudes towards disability change in the past decade, while he has been helped by technological advances. “It’s a generational thing. I would also say public opinion towards blindness is further advanced than [the attitude] of some editors at the BBC. When I was working in the UK, people in the street regularly came up to say how much they liked my work.”

The documentary looks at musicians such as Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Boy Fuller and the Rev Gary Davis, who influenced Bob Dylan.

“Opportunities for blind people in the South were very limited,” said O’Donoghue. “Some simply took to playing the banjo or guitar on the streets to earn some money. A few were taken on by recording companies and became big names.”