(VICT) Training Today VBG

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 17:32:00 -0700

It was awesome! It was short and sweet but showed so much progress in Thane.
Well not just in Thane but in both of us working together as a team.
I went back to Met's old leash. I rigged it to work for Thane and I using a
traffic handle so that the loop which is too low with Thane's height, would
not drag and get caught in the wheel, while at the same time I could use the
traffic handle as my handle to hold the leash the way I needed to. I then
put the hookup to my chair at the front of the armrest rather than the back.
It worked awesome.
I used the GL for Thane as well. He tried to have a BC snit about it, but it
really made it so much easier to feel what he was doing. This kind of
communication is so important for an individual with dual sensory loss. I
was quite pleased with this. Not only did we handle the entrance really
well, we were able to do the sharp right corners without the crab arching
happening. It was obvious the leash had been too short for him. He did so
well on the GL following my directions too. It may have been the GL or that
I have had enough exposure to my in-training dude with public access that I
am remembering to give him the directional commands he needs me to. We did
so well today. I did accidentally get caught up in the moment and entered
the produce area. That was too much maze work for us and I corrected my
error and returned to normal aisles that we have enough experience to
navigate well. He did so awesome. He loves the longer aisles where we can
just go and go and go. We entered aisles where we had to deal with customers
who thought parking their cart in the middle of the aisle was appropriate.
Thane handled it like a pro! He turned his head towards me as he halted.
Then a moment later he carried on after the cart had been moved. One aisle I
entered they were re-stocking. I thought twice about doing it, but decided
to proceed. Once more he was just right on! There was even a worker down at
his level and he did not sneak a *hello* with him. Now if that is not
something to brag about than I don't know what is!
It was obvious to me this morning that he was ready for the next step,
experiencing paying the cashier. He sat nicely in line. There was a young
child and he was very good and did not try and go to say hello. Boy was I
proud of that. I have Kyle, the neighborhood boy, to thank for that one.
When he saw Bobby though, he stood and wagged his tail a bit. Everyone loves
Bobby. I have a special place in my heart for him. After losing Met, he just
really lifted my spirits. I don't think Bobby is ever sad. He is just that
kind of enthusiastic person. It is kinda cool that Thane has signaled him
out to be a special pal he likes. (Bobby is developmentally delayed and
works at the store)
Thane sat back down when I told him to, which was so awesome with that kind
of distraction- I mean c'mon this was *BOBBY*. He sat politely while I
worked with paying for the cans of soy free Albacore. Everything went
perfect until the last second when he tried to do his *paws* to the counter.
I don't want to completely discourage this as we could encounter situations
where I really need this, but I want him to only do it if I say so. We will
work on that down the road with service dog training though. For now sitting
nicely is all he needs to do there.
As we were leaving I stupidly said *show the way* Dumb me! Thane has no idea
what that means. He made one decision and then changed it midstream which is
OK as it was my fault not to give him the clearer directions of *right* and
then *outside* He could have gone right or left and had a path to a door.
That was a bit confusing but he did well. I was very proud of him, of us. We
even used the street crossing out front here that we have not used a lot and
man he was just right on! I was so proud. This is one crossing he still
liked to be a bit squirly with so to have him do it awesome was well... what
can I say, Awesome!
I think he is developing that Border Collie eye with cars who don't wanna
stop though! Its very subtle, but very definite. When you have been Border
Collie eyed you remember the laws of the road! VBG
We did not use the shortcut today either- we walked the long way both
directions- to and from the store. By reading this you probably think we
were out forever, but it only took us an hour today. We really are working
much better together. I need to dig out my bus tickets and see how many I
have. I can realistically see this training along the horizon. I hate
wasting tickets for training. Paying a buck to go 2 blocks seems ridiculous
but its all about training so its worthwhile. My goal is to start slowly.
Let him ride just far enough to see what it involves at first. I need to
catch a bus driver to talk to them about times of day that would be easier
for me to do this initially. I want to get on the bus with them not feeling
rushed and it not being too full in the front where he would be inclined to
say hello to all the able bodied people who take up the senior and disabled
seating. We also need to figure out the big quandry in my mind, how am I
going to fit my 27 inch long dog into that space where there was barely room
for my 24 inch predecessor! Lets just say I may be out in the aisle a bit to
make room for his big long body! We will figure out what works, just like
Met and I did though.
And this was just the beginnign of my day--- I'm ready for a good nights
sleep!

Karyn and Thane