(VICT) Re: What is a roundabout?

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:10:07 -0400

A round about, or rotary, or traffic circle is a intersection of usually
three or more streets.  But instead of "crossing" to form a plus or star
shape, the they are placed around a circle, with two or four lanes in it.
The "center" of the circle is filled in with grass, or trees, or pillars,
ours have pillars on one of them, and the other one has trees and grass.
The cars in theory, go into the rotary, drive around one direction and when
they get to their right "street" they turn off onto that street.  If you
know where you are going you go on the outside lanes, if you have no clue
you go to the inside lanes and go around and around and around until you
figure it out.  Smile.

The challenge with these buggers is that they normally have no traffic
lights, signs or controls.  Cars are expected to yield to pedestrians and
other cars, which especially in Massachusetts where the drivers are known by
a word that rhymes with a rather bad word with the word mass in the
beginning of it, they don't.

So needless to say I try to avoid them at all costs and usually take the
buses and trains to get around them.

Very popular in England, and here in Massachusetts to, though, I wish they
would have shot the person who invented them.

But if you look on a map, the rotaries kind of look like a child's drawing
of a sun.

Smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

More than Any other time, When I hold a beloved book in my hand, my
- Helen Keller