(VICT) Re: FW: question about barking at door bell

  • From: "Christy Hill" <care4k9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:41:47 -0800

You wrote:
> I've given him treats and the silly guy barks while chewing!
> :) I don't really want to enforce barking with the treats so
> this makes me wonder if it is really efficient.

Christy Responds with:
     The key and what is so crucial with clicker training is the timing. It also
depends on the value of the treat. If you just use kibble, dog isn't going to
be as
tentative unless you have something like cooked chicken.

      What I had to do first is get Mickey's heightened state to come down. I
did
this with soothing him. Some people are believers that you are reinforcing the
heightened. I'm not praising Mickey, I'm calming Mickey. I don't tell him Good
Boy, I
talk to him really soft and use massage techniques. When I was able to get him
to a
lower heightened state, I then was able to use the food. Like knock once and
give him
a treat. I didn't do the three knocks that a person normally does at a door.
Then
when he got use to one knock, I later add two knocks. If something doesn't work
in
clicker training, break down the behaviors and your criteria even more.

Iona writes:
> I will also
> record the bell on my phone and play it in different places
> to get him desensitized. But I need to do it when he is not
> around so I don't get the barking on the recording! Smile.

     Good idea. I did this with a knock, but now Mickey knows when I'm knocking
and
he ignores it and knows if it is someone else knocking. ARGH dogs are too smart!

Christy