(VICT) Our Latest Adventure: Things I am Still Learning

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:48:31 -0700

Thane and I have had a very busy summer, but not over-busy. From learning to
ride the bus, to learning to ride Max (light rail), to building up to riding
longer distances- not just for Thane but also myself. Its been quite an
adventurous time.
Since the addition of Thane in my life, I have had a significant reduction
in stress which had impacted my health. As great as the journey was with
Met, I did not realize until months after his passing how much my own well
being had been impacted.
I am for sure not the person of yesterday. I have a newfound joy to get out
and do with my new sidekick, but with many great lessons from Met to take me
on my way. I remember when I was adventurous and care free with Met as well.
Its a really neat side, but I also have to use my head and work on building
up to things. For the most part I have done well doing my prepatory phase
which has made our adventures quite exhilarating. Thane actually works
better in new surroundings than in our own boring neck of the woods. This is
not to say that he does not work well here- as he does. There is just that
extra spunkiness I can feel in him as we move along in a new place.
I have had a goal to be able to travel into Portland without paratransit so
I can take Thane to a holistic vet I used with Met. I'd like to get some
information on improving his gut early in life here along with dietary
feedback from her. I wanted to avoid paratransit if possible because when I
went with Met, it took 3 1/2 hours of us riding around in the vehicle before
we were finally let off. I was in horrible pain and my MCS took a horrendous
toll- not to mention Met laying on that hard floor for 3 1/2 hours. I just
could not see doing that with Thane.
After slowly working up distance and just ease of working the system on Max
for both of us (I have to count the stops since I am deafblind), yesterday
(an overcast day of all times), we headed off to Portland. The max went
great until we hit the first small tunnel- it unnerved me a bit making me
wonder what was to come. Then came the big tunnel. It had to be noisy as I
was hearing sound at first before my ears plugged up. Thane was a bit
unsettled with the new experience but stayed laying down. I had not even
considered the possibility of a tunnel nor that my ears would build up
pressure that they could not release for hours (why I quit flying so much
even before my MCS) Once we got off in Portland I felt like I was in San
Francisco! I had accidentally brought the wrong guide handle and was having
quite a bit of difficulty so we took some time walking around the open
square back and forth right and left until someone came to be sure I was not
lost. Smile I finally thought I had things figured out how I could hold it
and keep in sinc with Thane without impeding his movement. I'm seriously
contemplating an American Design harness for us as I think my arm would be
able to stabilize the handle more easily with my limited strength.
Anyway we started walking around the blocks. It was literally culture shock!
Portland is so different than even the main city we regularly travel to. The
sidewalks are narrower for the most part. Curbcuts seemed to be
after-thoughts in most situations and only one per curb no matter how many
directions one could travel. There was tons of sidewalk construction with
scaffoldings and venders on sidewalks.
We ventured into a store that I think was a drug store or something like it.
It had electric buttons for the doors, but they put the buttons in such
inaccessible places that others had to push them for us.
I was dreading returning to that tunnel with my ears still blocked and the
pressure built the way it was. I decided we would walk around some more and
just get acclimated to this weird atmosphere. I thought in my mind how glad
I was that I did not live there when Thane came to me from the country!
Goodness me.
We managed to get lost as we meandered about. When we finally got ourselves
found, I realized Thane had tried to take me the right direction in the
first place- OK yeah that was a reminder to listen to one's dog Smile When
we were ready to head for home, we  got on the train at the right place
headed the right direction Surprise surprise.
The train was quite full which I am not used to. I had to use the smaller
side so I took Thane's guide handle off so it would not get caught and he
could comfortably lay for the long ride home. He was all curled up with his
nose on his tail as soon as the train took off. He has this funny herding
dog desire to herd with his head everyone on board at bus stops. He will sit
up and make sure everyone gets on and then lay back down. He did not do that
headed home. He was tired and knew this was going to be a long ride. When we
entered the tunnel he just raised his head for a moment before putting it
back down in his tail.
When we finally did get home- boy we both were just happy to be home. I was
hurting big time with my ears, head and MCS exposure. Though I have decided
I won't be doing that approach to use the vet there, it was a valuable
experience under our belts.
With our frequent travels here and there this summer on transit and max,
Thane has also developed the stability he lacked when we first began riding
the bus and I needed to double leash him to keep him from sliding around.
That is really cool!
The only place I have not taken him when I ride the bus is Winco. The return
stop is pretty precarious, the ramp very steep due to road grade, so I want
to be sure I can truly handle my groceries and him before we attempt that
one- you know set them up for success always.
One thing I am doing so differently this time around is to not rely so
totally on Thane that I can not function if he were to be ill and at the end
of his career function in the world. I use my guide cane when necessary and
keep that skill despite the pain it does cause. I refuse to feel as trapped
as I did when Met died ever again.
For de-boarding the buses I also need it. There is not enough room for us to
go down the ramp in harness. On Max I love it because we can wheel on and
off in harness. That is just so cool!
Its been a great summer here as we built on experience together as a team,
fall and winter await us- as does service dog training. Retrieve is gonna be
oh so much fun LOL

Karyn and Thane