[vi-android] Navigation apps

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:48:12 +1100

Hi everyone,

Still on my quest to find a good navigation aid. We went for a walk today and tried a couple. Basically I'd like to find something which will give me my current location and cross streets as we walk randomly, and directions and cross streets as we navigate specifically from point A to point B.

ViaOpta Nav - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.novartis.blind&hl=en

This one almost seemed really good - it announced our address (a bit overly regularly and not always when it had a good GPS fix), and cross streets while we were just walking, but when I asked for directions from one place to another it listed them but had trouble staying focussed to read them as we went. This would work well for the first part of my quest - to tell me where I am when walking randomly, though ideally I'd like to be able to tell it not to announce location if it couldn't get a good fix, unless it couldn't get a good fix for some time. Might write to the dev about that.

Point Finder - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.picospace.pointfinder&hl=en

While I love the idea of knowing that my destination is 800 metres to my south-east, the directions basically points you to Google maps which I admit I haven't tried lately. I did try Google maps ages ago and it worked fairly well actually but I didn't try it in our test today (just because the kids were getting antsy by the time we'd tried other apps).

Not Nav - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smithson.notnav&hl=en

Gives the current address and heading, but we could not get it to tell us cross streets, even when we were standing at the corner?

Any other ideas?

Regards

Quentin.

---