[va_lcg_act] Vision Australia Canberra Local Client Group

  • From: "Justin Simpson" <shatteredfaith34@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_lcg_act@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 12:12:36 +1000

Dear Local Client Group (LCG)

Last year Bob James announced that, this year, he would be stepping down as
the chair of the Canberra LCG. At our April meeting, I was appointed as the
new chair. Sharon agreed to continue in the role of secretary.

On behalf of the LCG, I acknowledge Bob and warmly thank him for his
service. Not only has Bob also been our Regional Client Representative, he
is an awarded Vision Australia volunteer and, of course, he is responsible
for the Audio Book Group (one of the best run and attended groups for, BLVs,
in Canberra)

Briefly - I was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) about 20 years ago,
shortly after which I became a client of Vision Australia (then RBS). Last
year I retired as an executive in the Commonwealth Government after 25 years
of service, and I became a volunteer at Vision Australia. My volunteer roles
include the Peer Support and Quality Living Programs (I am a formally
trained peer support worker) volunteer training and shifts at reception.

Tomorrow Sharon and I are attending group training for LCGs around the
country entitled "working as a group". The premise to the training is:

Our Local Client Groups form an important part of what we do at Vision
Australia. People are a part of our local client groups because there is a
common interest and shared experiences. The members are seeking peer
support, information and friendship. We know that many members really enjoy
being part of a local client group.

Local client groups also form a crucial part of our work in Client
Consultation and Engagement. We often ask you for your opinions to help us
design our services, write our policies, talk to governments and build
community awareness. Sometimes we ask you to hold discussions with your
group, seeking feedback and information that builds our knowledge of
people's lived experience of blindness and low vision.

Consistent with the objects of an LCG, my aspirations for the LCG include
being more active and inclusive, growing the group and having it meet more
often. To this end, I would like to receive as much input and feedback from
the group members as possible, including what you want from your group.

At our next meeting Cassandra Strakosch, Client Consultation and Engagement
Advisor for Vision Australia, will be coming to talk to the group about all
of the above and, again ,we hope this will be an interactive meeting full of
your own feedback and ideas.

The meeting is tentatively proposed for Wed 17 June at 11 am, followed by
lunch - this is a new format Cass and I have discussed, where the group can
formally meet earlier in the day and then, those who want to, can enjoy a
more casual conversation over lunch.

The meeting details will be confirmed in a couple of weeks. In preparation
for the meeting, Vision Australia will be doing a mail out to local clients
and the date will be posted in Canberra Vision Australia Catch Up.

(As clients of Va, and if you are on email, I trust you are receiving the
new newsletter. If not, please contact VA on 6132 5800.)

Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time on this email, the numbers
below or come and see me at VA reception at 10-4 on Fridays.

I look forward to meeting you and getting to know you, and serving you in
this role.

Very best regards - Justin

Justin Simpson

0428 551 595