[va_lcg_act] Fw: VA LCG Reminder and March Volunteer Newsletter

  • From: "Robert and Judith James" <randjjames1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_lcg_act@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 16:38:55 +1100

Hi VA LCG members,
Just a reminder that we meet on Wednesday at 1:00pm in the VA Office, bring
your lunch at 12:30. Anne Menon will be our guest. You will see from the
Volunteer Newsletter something of Anne's style, come and support her with your
ideas.
Also at our meeting I can report on the Regional Client Com. which met lst
night. We had with us Michael Simpson the NSW/ACT General Manager and I had a
conversation with him about problems experienced by clients with VAILS, if you
use audio books, this will interest you. The next RCC meeting will be at
Enfield and I am looking for a representative to attend as I will be overseas.
Lastly, the National Gallery of Australia has a free descriptive tour of Inca
Gold on Saturday at 2:30pm. A guide will take VIPs and their companions through
this marvelous exhibition. Please ring NLA to record your intention to attend.
Yours,
Bob James [if you need to reply to me use my email randjjames1@xxxxxxxxx]

Date: Saturday 22nd March 2014

Time: 11:30am to 2:00pm

Address: 17 Barrett Street, Kensington VIC

Entry: a gold coin donation at entry.

Be one of the first to visit Seeing Eye Dogs Australia's brand new, state of
the art Kennel and Breeding facilities in Kensington, Victoria.

Take the opportunity to see puppies playing in their new Puppy Centre. We'll be
running training, obedience and vet health demonstrations throughout the event.
There will be a kids colouring competition, raffles as well as our merchandise
on sale and you can also enjoy a BBQ run by North Melbourne Rotary Club or a
coffee as you see what our new facility has to offer.

(Please note that pets cannot be brought to the open day).

Anne's Corner

Phew, autumn is finally here. We will soon have those gorgeous autumn days and
cool nights that the area is rightfully proud of. I, for one, cannot wait!

We have some interesting volunteer assignments coming up, so please do give
them a glance over and thanks to those wonderful people who have stepped up in
the last month to help with volunteer requests.

We are also knee deep in planning our annual Volunteer Appreciation function;
please watch next months' newsletter for more information.

Our Volunteer of the month for March is Mr. Bob James. Do you have a volunteer
you think should be our volunteer of the month for April?  Please, let me know
your thoughts.  Just click on my photo to be taken to an email form with my
details on it.

Have a great March!

Cheers

Anne

Coordinator of Volunteers

Canberra & Orange

Definition of a Volunteer: A volunteer is a person who believes that people can
make a difference - and is willing to prove it.

Volunteer of the Month - March

 Bob James

Has lived in Canberra for about 20 years, previously a Wagga boy.

How long volunteering with Vision Australia?

About 15 years

Hobbies/memberships

Bob is a keen cyclist  - has toured Germany, the Danube, Czech Republic and
Austria as well as touring New Zealand and Australia extensively. His most
memorable place has been his visit to Prague; he was amazed at the variety of
cultural experiences. Bob has been fortunate in that he has never had a bad
experience in all his travelling by bike around the world!

Volunteering roles with Vision Australia:   Coaching of tandem riders. Client
representative and convener of the book club.

High point of your time with Vision Australia

Commencement of the local client group and being one of the first client
representatives.   Learning about Vision Australia in some depth at the client
level.

Most recent role with Vision Australia: Still working with Vision Australia!

Motto is:  Anything truly worth doing is worth doing badly!  It is better to
make the effort and do a poor job, than not to try at all!)

Bob on behalf of us all at Vision Australia, thank you for your ongoing hard
work and commitment, it is appreciated.

Volunteering - By the numbers

  a.. ACT and area volunteers contribute over $1.5 billion to the ACT economy
annually! (source: Volunteering ACT)
  b.. 4.6 million volunteers work with not for profit organisations, with a
wage equivalent value of $14.6 billion.
  c.. 36% of the adult population of Australia (5.6 million people) volunteered
in 2010, for a total of 713 million hours- or the equivalent of 371,354 full
time positions.
"What volunteers bring is the human touch, the individual, caring approach that
no government program, however well-meaning and well-executed, can deliver."
--Actor Edward James Olmos

Have you worked with Vision Australia in the past month?

Please let me know any hours you have worked for and with us. An email is fine,
and a call is always appreciated.   It's an indication of how seriously we take
your time and expertise, that this information is required monthly by our head
office!

  a.. Personal Reader - Canberra, for a client who has a large library of
books. He is keen to be able to discuss books during/after the reading. A great
assignment for the literati among us.

  a.. Crossword enthusiast - Canberra - Share your passion for crosswords with
this client, doing crosswords with them in their home.

  a.. Drivers - Canberra - Transporting clients to various activities and
appointments as needed. We are always in need of volunteers, with a clean
driving license and their own car to undertake this vital task.

  a.. Volunteer Host for Induction Training - Canberra - Set up and break down
of meeting room, administration and COV support for the day. Will be required
approximately 1 day per month at the Canberra Vision Australia Office.

A big thank you to ALL the volunteers who responded to our request last month
for people to sew play mats for children with blindness or low vision. We were
greatly impressed by the response and our early childhood workers are
delighted, with their new supplies.

Please contact Anne Menon, if you are able to help with any of these activities
or perhaps to share your own suggestions for volunteering opportunities. Love
to hear from you!

Over to you

Do you have any articles, funny stories, or newsworthy items that the rest of
our volunteer workforce would be interested in?  Or perhaps you have some new
ideas for other content.

Please contact Anne Menon - We would love to hear from you, after all, this is
your newsletter!

Let's keep in touch!

Please let us know if your contact details have changed.

Contact Details: Anne Menon (Coordinator of Volunteers)

Vision Australia:             Level 2, Saraton Building, 22 East Row, Canberra,
ACT, 2601

Postal Address:      GPO Box 1499, Canberra, ACT, 2601

Phone:                02 6132 5816

Email:                  anne.menon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Volunteers have the right to be supported and supervised in your role

      Volunteers have the responsibility to assist in the delivery of service
as agreed to in your Volunteer Assignment
     Follow Vision Australia on:

Please let me know(anne.menon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  if you would like to
receive this newsletter by email or post, or would prefer not to receive it at
all.

Many Thanks,

Anne Menon

Coordinator of Volunteers - Canberra and Orange

Vision Australia

Level 2, Saraton Building

22 East Row

Canberra, ACT, 2601

(GPO Box 1499)

Inter Office:218 816

Phone: 02 6132 5800

Direct: 02 6132 5816

Fax: 02 6132 5821

Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections every
few years, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of
community you want to live in.

Vision Australia, in conjunction with the International Society for Low Vision
Research and Rehabilitation, is hosting the 11th International Conference on
Low Vision in Melbourne - Vision2014. The conference will be held on 31 March
to 3 April and will showcase a stimulating scientific program from the world's
leading low vision practitioners and researchers. For more information or to
register your place visit www.vision2014.org or call the congress secretariat
on 03 9682 0500.

ABN: 67 108 391 831 ACN: 108 391 831

Vision Australia is a partnership between people who are blind, sighted or have
low vision. We are united by our passion that people who are blind or have low
vision will have access to and fully participate in every part of life they
choose.

This email (including its attachments) is confidential and may contain legally
privileged material or personal information. If you are not a named addressee
you must not use, disclose, copy, disseminate or print the email or any
information in it. If you have received this email in error please notify us
immediately and delete the email and any copies.

Vision Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other
than those made by Vision Australia or for the effect of the changes to the
document's meaning. Vision Australia accepts no liability for any damage caused
by this email or its attachments due to viruses, interference, interception,
corruption or unauthorised access.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image