[va-richmond-general] state parks youth conservation corps 2012

  • From: Tyler Turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:40:52 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

from Tyler Turpin

please send this announcement to High School youth you know:

Recruitment for the Virginia State Parks Youth Corps (VSPYC) will begin the first of the year.
Youth crews will consist of approximately 10 young people, ages 14-17 from diverse backgrounds,
and three crew supervisors, college-age or older.
This team of young people will live in the park in a structured program of work and learning closely
supervised by professional park staff and committed adult volunteers.
By day, the crews carry out priority park development and environmental/cultural projects, and after hours
they take part in planned environmental education, team-building, worklife or job readiness training and
recreational activities. In short, we aim to create more involved and dedicated citizens in the Commonwealth.

We would appreciate your assistance in promoting the program with any family members and youth that
might be interested. To expand the horizon of participants and give them a
better idea of Virginia’s environmental diversity, we strive for geographic distance between
the youth’s home and the park where they work.
We provide a program completion stipend of $500 for the youth participants.

Crew Supervisors will receive a $1,800 at the end of the three weeks program.
A set fee of $350.00 will be provided to cover transportation cost to any
required training and travel to and from the park(s) of assignment.
In 2008, DCR's Virginia State Park Youth Conservation Corps Program was
presented with the Governor’s Award for Volunteerism and Community Service as the most Outstanding Youth
Organization in the Commonwealth. Likewise, in 2010 the program was honored with the
U S Department of the Interior's
Most Outstanding State Volunteer program in the nation award . The Take Pride in America award cited the YCC's
"... outstanding commitment to the stewardship of America's public lands and natural and cultural resources."

I hope you will join us in letting others know we are building an exciting new opportunity for adolescents,
from all walks of life in the Commonwealth, to gain lifelong skills while serving their larger communities.
Please visit: http://bit.ly/vspycc to apply. All applicants will need the e-mail address of two
professional references.
 Regards,
Gaston Rouse

Dir. Community Engagement and Volunteerism
Virginia State Parks
(P) 703-583-5497
(F) 703-583-2514
gaston.rouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx