[va-richmond-general] opening day at MAPS

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 14:20:15 -0400

This morning we held our first MAPS (monitoring avian productivity and
survivorship) session of the season at the Powhatan Wildlife Management
Area.  We banded 27 new birds and had 3 returns from previous years. The
newly banded birds were:

magnolia warbler (2)
American redstart
common yellowthroat
Canada warbler
hooded warbler (a young male in full breeding condition)
ovenbird (3)
red-eyed vireo (5)
white-eyed vireo (1)
Acadian flycatcher (2)
gray-cheeked thrush
Swainson's thrush
wood thrush
American goldfinch
indigo bunting
northern cardinal (3)
gray catbird
blue-gray gnatcher

returns from previous years:
American goldfinch
red-eyed vireo
white-eyed vireo

caught and released unbanded:
ruby-throated hummingbird (2)

Several black-and-white and prairie warblers were present all morning but
avoided being caught.

Great birds and a beautiful morning!

Bob Reilly