[va-richmond-general] inland shorebird trip

  • From: tyler turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:23:09 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Richmond Audubon Society trip to :Chippokes State Park  ,Sunken Meadows , and
ferry
Join Tyler Turpin for a trip targeting Spring  northward migration of
Shorebirds and  waterfowl  as well as the arrival of our native, in Spring and
Summer , Spotted Sandpipers.

Trip will depart from Hardees on Route 10 in Hopewell on Saturday March 24th at
7:30 A.M. We will proceed East on Route 10 .State park Fee of $2.00 per vehicle
up to 6 people per vehicle applies.
First  stop will be the  famous Sunken Meadows site. In early April of 2005,
when  I was still working in Hopewell, on one of my after work visits to Sunken
Meadows, I saw about 70+  Spotted Sandpipers in both ponds.

After visiting Sunken Meadows we will proceed to Chippokes State Park. Group
will take the  trail behind the Visitor Center  that leads to the area where a
creek flows into James River . We will spend about 45 minutes there and then
the trip ends. Lunch is on your own , or  you can join your trip leader for
lunch and some more birding. The trip leader plans to eat lunch at Surry House
,which changed management in 2006 , and return to Richmond via the ferry and
I-64 . The ferry  is a great birding platform.

Call Tyler Turpin at 270-6921 to register

Directions  to Sunken Meadows :
. From I-95 and I-295, take Route 10 towards Hopewell. At the intersection of
SR 10 and SR 31, continue straight onto Rt. 626/ Oakwood Drive. Oakwood Drive
becomes Lebanon Road. Travel 3.0 miles and turn right onto Beaverdam Road
(still Rt. 626). Continue for 4.5 miles and turn right onto Sunken Meadow
Road/Rt. 609. The northern site: Turn right on Rt. 609 and continue 2.1 miles
to the bridge crossing the northern end of the pond opposite Sunny Meadow Beach
Estates. Parking is limited. The southern site: Retrace your steps to Rt. 626
and Rt. 609, turn right on Rt. 626, and continue 1.2 miles to a causeway
crossing the south end of the pond

To Chippokes State Park from Sunken Meadows:

Turn left at the intersection of routes
10 and 31 (this continues on Route 10). Turn right at the blinking light. Turn
left
at Route 634 (Alliance Road), and the park entrance is four miles on the left.