[va-richmond-general] Re: "duck-ing" along the James

  • From: <arun.bose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:02:41 -0500

Hello All,
Michael's images do show Greater Scaup and American Wigeon. Both species
were observed again today. I spent 4 hours or so between 10 and 2. Starting
at the Hugenot Bridge and ending at where the wetlands ends. I ran into
Lewis Barnett who was also out birding. Later in the day I also visited the
Floodwall.

12 species of Duck + American Coot (1) and Pied-billed Grebe.

Wood Duck - 2 (pair)
Gadwall - 11 (between Floodwall and Belle Isle)
American Wigeon - 5
American Black Duck - 6
Mallard - 76
Canvasback - 50 (a lone female just down from rattlesnake creek and 49
adjacent to Wetlands)
Ring-necked Duck - 243
Greater Scaup - 7 (2 male, 1 female on the Flatwater, 1 male, 3 female
adjacent to Wetlands. The latter group also seen in flight).
Lesser Scaup - 53
Bufflehead - 352
Common Goldeneye - 1 female (first seen just above the Z-dam, and observed
flying downriver. Later seen adjacent to Wetlands)
Hooded Merganser - 11

Also about a dozen Mallard x Black Duck hybrids, and a few farmyard looking
characters.

I missed Ruddy and Redhead, Common Merganser, Green-winged Teal which I have
seen in the area during the past week or two. Lotsa ducks out there!

Arun Bose
observed