[va-richmond-general] an unusual bird feeder visitor

  • From: Penny S Reynolds/FS/VCU <psreynolds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:42:00 -0400

I live on a 6 acre woodlot in  Goochland county and had an unusual visitor to my bird feeders 2 nights ago. I woke up to find all my bird feeder poles BENT IN HALF, and the hanging feeders either torn up or missing. I found two in the woods later. My first thought was that I must have some seriously large raccoons in my woodlot. However I started casting round for sign and found a track in one of my herb beds that was pretty darn big for a coon. So  I made a track trap around the one remaining feeder post that could be salvaged and rebaited it with another bird feeder. ( A track trap is a 1 m diameter circle of lightly compacted ordinary sand that captures pawprints and other sign). Next morning  the pole was bent, the feeder gone, and yes, there was a 6 1/2" bear print. I filed an official report with state Game and Fish, who weren't surprised that I had a bear in my yard, just that I wasn't thirsting for the bear's blood. So I have pulled all my feeders for the next week, and of course will have to buy all new support poles. I do not have trash or pet food outside that would otherwise attract bears - I suspect that it is a fairly young bear wandering through.

Dr. Penny S Reynolds, PhD
Department of Emergency Medicine
B3-039 Sanger Hall
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center
1101 East Marshall St
Richmond VA 23298
USA
Office:  804 828 4911
Mobile: 804 516-0862
FAX      804 828 4686
You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.