[va-richmond-general] Where is everyone?

  • From: Lisa Mease <kunsthure@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:31:47 -0500

Has anyone else had fewer than normal typical feeder birds?  Last winter I
was up to my eyeballs in Chipping and Song Sparrows but in the 8 hours I
watched my feeders last Wednesday (when we had the ice storm) I had more
Orange-crowned Warblers than I had Cardinals, Song and Chipping Sparrows
*combined*.  White-breasted Nuthatches are down in numbers, too.  I have
seen a handful of female Purple Finches but not one male.  And non-feeder
birds like kinglets and Hermit Thrushes seem pretty scarce as well.

Ironically, I've had a dramatic increase in Bluebirds and Pine Warblers.
There are Brown Creepers, Orange-crowned Warblers and Brown-headed
Nuthatches in my yard for the first time.  I've even had a Red-breasted
Nuthatch drop by.  And there's been a Pine Siskin or two.

-Lisa

--

the hardest thing is rendering a moment moving too fast to endure.   --
incubus

* http://twitter.com/RVaMedic