[va-richmond-general] Re: Where are the ducks?

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bob@xxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 09:07:52 -0500

I have noticed the same thing here all winter in Powhatan.  No Buffleheads and
much lower numbers of Ring-necked Ducks than in past years.  We do seem to have
the usual numbers of Hooded Mergansers.  A friend at my old neighborhood in
Chesterfield is finding the same thing there.

One possible explanation is that there was severe weather during the 2009
breeding season in central and northern Canada - spring was delayed well into
June (to the extent that field trips to Churchill, Manitoba had to be canceled
due to six foot snow drifts).  This would tend to affect the Bufflehead and
Ringnecks more than the Hoodies.

Wendy Ealding
Powhatan County