[va-richmond-general] WILLOW FLYCATCHER at Bear Creek Lake SP, Cumberland County 6/30/08

  • From: WEalding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:39:15 -0400

There was a WILLOW FLYCATCHER at Bear Creek Lake State Park in Cumberland
County this morning.  It was distinguished from the much more common Acadian
Flycatcher by its almost Wood Thrush-like "wit" call and lack of eye-ring.
This species is not recorded in Dalmas et al's Checklist of Virginia's
South-Central Piedmont.

The other highlight of the trip was a BLACK BEAR, seen at the edge of Trents
Mill Road about 1/4 mile south from the park entrance.  Not only was it my
first Black Bear sighting for the county, it was my first state and US sighting!

Full bird species list:

Location:     Bear Creek Lake SP
Observation date:     6/30/08
Number of species:     30

Great Blue Heron     1
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Mourning Dove     X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo     X
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Eastern Wood-Pewee     X
Acadian Flycatcher     X
Willow Flycatcher     1     identified by lack of eye ring and "wit" call
Yellow-throated Vireo     X
Red-eyed Vireo     X
Blue Jay     X
American Crow     1