[va-richmond-general] Vireo Songs

  • From: Ben Griffon <bengriffon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RAS List <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:46:58 -0700 (PDT)

Can anyone offer any pointers on distinguishing vireo
species by song? I've read that identifying north
american vireos by song is inadequate because the song
is learned and not imprinted and therefore has much
variability among individuals. I was just walking
earlier today and heard several vireos singing at the
same time. Some were singing the typical "Here I am.
In the tree. Look up. At the top." of the red-eyed.
Others were singing something very close to that but
with slightly different inflections or "words". I'm
wondering if these were all red-eyes singing different
versions or if I was hearing different species. I'm
not familiar with the other local vireo songs.