[va-richmond-general] Re: Update: March of the Penguins

  • From: Barbara Williamson <barbaraawmson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:41:57 -0400

Yummy - I've been having problems with low blood pressure lately so I
have my doctor's blessing to have all the salty foods and caffinated
(sp?) drinks I want.  What a doctor?  I think Al was being overly
critical - let's see him try to do that movie in those weather
conditions!  Good to know that Al also identified bird as albatross.
Hope you enjoyed the movie and the air conditioning.

Barbara

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:23:45 +0000 juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
how was the popcorn? julie

We saw the movie yesterday afternoon. There aren't very movies made about
birds, and this was one of them. It was definitely worth seeing for the
great information about the Emperor Penguin. It must have been extremely
difficult to make because of the extremely cold temperatures, storms, and
the need to stay for long periods of time over a whole season. It wasn't
on a par with Winged Migration from technical quality or diversity of
species standpoints - some of the scenes filmed appeared very grainy and
/ or unsharp, and they only were dealing with one species. One other
species was shown stealing a chick - it was an albatross, but it wasn't
identified at all in the movie.
I was a little disappointed that the scenery was less impressive than it
could have been if the technical quality were better. Maybe it was the
film format used, or the extreme conditions that caused it - I don't
know. The potential was there. But the overall story of the penguins'
trek to and from the breeding area, anespecially the images of the
"birds" in courtship, were beautiful and very tastefully done, which was
a good thing considering the kids in the audience. The scenes where the
males and females were transferring the eggs, and when the chicks were
trying to stay warm under their parents' feathers were really intensive.
There were a lot of unanswered questions in our minds when we left the
theatre. We wondered how (or if) the penguins can maintain their numbers
when there are so many forces working against them, and why they stay in
Antarctica instead of going someplace else. You just have to see the
movie and then draw your own conclusion.
Suggestion: get there about 10 minutes after the published time to avoid
all the noisy and loud kiddie previews and commercials (earplugs would be
useful), unless you are taking kids with you or really want to see them.
And go during a weekday day showing when there won't be a big crowd.

Al Warfield