[va-richmond-general] The Wetlands 4/11/08

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'va-bird'" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:30:15 -0400

I missed Friday Before Work, but walked with Mary Ann Corbett after that.
We did not find the bittern, but we did find a beautiful, calm brownsnake
(aka Dekay's).  Unfortunately, the photos turned out blurry.  You'd never
guess that Mary Ann never held a snake before.  She's a really good sport!
Zebra swallowtails were abundant today.  There was a red-shouldered hawk on
the ground near the bittern pool, and a barred owl in its usual spot near
the bridge.  On the other side of the park we found a hermit thrush on a
trail, the horned grebe was not seen (though I understand FBW reported it),
and there was no activity around the burrows we have been watching.  Does
anyone know of a book or website that has nesting dates and behaviors for
belted kingfishers?  The nest should be inaccessible to unleashed dogs (wish
I was) and even the foxes should not be able to get to it without extreme
effort.  If someone sees the bittern there are still plenty of people who
would like to hear about it.  Have a great day!

Jan